NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
    Les Paul Forum Member

How To Tidy Up Minor Scuffs On A Tweed Amp

Hey!

So I have a lacquered tweed amp and it has some minor scuffs on it. A couple of these have broken through the laquer so that the tweed is exposed and is at risk of starting to fray. Iím looking for any advice on how I can tidy them up a bit? They are only really small and I was thinking about testing some clear nail varnish but thought Iíd check here first as I guess Iím not the first person to do this. Any advice appreciated.

*oh and Iím aware that a lot of people really like how tweed amps look when they are a bit beat up but Iím not quite ready for that to happen to this particular amp yet

Re: How To Tidy Up Minor Scuffs On A Tweed Amp

What they did in the early-mid 60's to fix this was paint the entire amp in heavy black urethane.
    Don't do that.

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by corpse View Post
    What they did in the early-mid 60's to fix this was paint the entire amp in heavy black urethane.
    Don't do that.
    Ha, ok thanks for that

I would try shellac lacquer. Try it on the bottom of the cabinet first. You can get it anywhere, they make an amber tint thatI have used on entire cabinets that worked out fantastic.

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Professortwang View Post
    I would try shellac lacquer. Try it on the bottom of the cabinet first. You can get it anywhere, they make an amber tint thatI have used on entire cabinets that worked out fantastic.
    Thanks thatís what I was thinking

Les Paul Forum Member PaulLaRue's Avatar

"Shellac lacquer"? Never heard of it? Do you mean Shellac made by Bullseye? It also comes in clear & amber but is not Lacquer. Dries extreamly fast [alcohol based].

Shellac or Lacquer is a good touch up for tweed. Shave any lose fibers away and just brush or spray on the clear coat.

Les Paul Forum Member

"Shellac made by Bullseye"? Do you mean shellac made by the female lac bug?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shellac

If it's "minor", leave it alone and play on!
    Game on!

Wow tough crowd, yes I meant Shellac by Bullseye that you can get at any home improvement store. The amber tint works very well on tweed cabinets. I also tried a polyurethane finish based on recommendations in one of Gerald Weberís tube amp repair books. I wasnít pleased with the result and it was more difficult to apply than Shellac. Shellac is a resin secreted by the female lac bug. You can buy the resin flakes and mix your own or buy Shellac from Retailers that carry Bullseye products. There may be other companies that I am not aware of that make a similar product. Iíve read two different accounts about what was used on original Fender tweed amps: Laquer which is plausible because it was being used on guitar bodies at the time and Shellac which is also plausible. Iíve seen many reissue tweed Fender amps that donít have any finish on them. They donít wear well and look bad from the beginning in my opinion. Will at armadillo amp works would be a good person to talk to about cabinet repair and restoration. Iíve done some cabinet work however my area of expertise is electronics.

Jeez.
    Shellac works.

One coat.

Let dry.

Not dark enough?

Second coat.

Let dry.

See how that works? Most I have seen use about 2 coats to simulate old.

I have a couple that were supposedly 3 coats and they ARE slightly more ambered.

Les Paul Forum Member

i use elmers.
    i,m also writing a book '101 ways not to do things'
    i would venture to say the shellac bugs would give a big thunbs up for elmers