• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Urgent Advice Needed. Should I Return Les Paul Over Top?

as1

So I bought a 2018 Les Paul Standard. It plays phenomenal and I got a killer deal on it at $1999.99. Its one of the best playing guitars ive played and feels great in my hands. My only issue is that I have major OCD on having a perfect top on my guitar. I can not help myself. This guitar has a decent top but when hanging on the wall has a big missing spot of flame and also the 2 halves do not line up well. I basically have today and tomorrow to decide if I want to return it.

Please tell me if im being ridiculous about this. And dont get me wrong, Ive seen much much worse tops then this out there. But I cant help but to critique it everytime I look at it. Im afraid I wont be able to bond with it because of this. Like I said it would be the perfect guitar otherwise. I really really wish things like this didnt bug me trust me. Any advice on what to do?

image1 (1).jpg

image2.jpg

Elmore

I would not send it back for that reason. Especially if everything else does it for you. Looks good to me.

lvidal

That top actually looks very good. The guitar is good in your hands, not at the wall. You never look at the top when playing. You are really worried about how you look with it. You better worry about how you sound with it :dude:

Zentar

I think the modern obsession with perfect flametops is a destructive trend.

The Rolling Stones had a 59 Standard that both Richards and Taylor played. It could easily be spotted on stage due to a peculiar whitish area. Today that top would be called a blemish and returned. The blem area made it distinctive and it is maybe the most recognizable 59 Standard ever made.

El Gringo

I can understand where you are coming from very well . If this nags you by all means return it for a top that you lust for $2G is a lot of coin and you should 100% never mind make that 1000% satisfied . At the end of the day DO NOT HAVE ANY REGRETS because it will bug you .

c_wester

That top looks awesome.
My rule is follow the sound and to hell with the looks.
This does not apply to wimen fully,

Zentar

A 4A top runs between $3k and $4k. A Standard with a 3A top runs above $2k. I think you got a terrific looking Standard for a measely $2k

AA00475Bassman

Love bald spots on my figured Les Paul's very nice looking guitar & you love the way the guitar sounds & plays . Keep it !

guitarjoe

It plays phenomenal and I got a killer deal on it at $1999.99. Its one of the best playing guitars ive played and feels great in my hands.

This is the verdict right here. Keep it.

as1

Ya you guys are right. I’m keeping it. It’s stupid of me I need reassurance in that decision. Like I said I just get super OCD on stuff like my guitars not sure if I’m the only one?

ive bought a Les Paul based solely on the beautiful top before and it was not a good player. It looked good on my wall but it was never inspiring to play. This one like I said is the best I’ve ever played. It has THE tone and feeling I want in a guitar. I would be very nervous about giving that up. Although I can’t help but think my Holy Grail Les Paul is somewhere out in the world lol. If I ever run into her I will surely purchase it without too much hesitation.

And like like you guys pointed out as well it is a nice top. For some reason I have perfection engrained in my brain and let it get carried away. Regardless I’m keeping it thanks guys.

Last edited:

toxpert

Another aspect that is not being noted...the pics come from one camera angle with the wood reflecting/absorbing light coming from fixed positions. Move the camera angle or the angle(s) of the incident light source and you will see another picture. You see this phenomena with varying degrees on vintage as well as non-stained modern instruments.

I recently bought a Taditional Pro Plus model for a guitar I don’t have to worry about gigging. At one angle, beautiful ful vibrant tiger striped flame for the whole top...a real stunner. Another angle, nothing...no flame at all.

Where a top wood has been stained...the flame becomes more visible at all angles...but you lose the dynamic features of light reflectance. The shimmer goes away. The tops are still pretty but seem dead and static looking. Might as well have a photoflame overlay.

cincyguitar

Congrats on the new LP dude....just chill out...as it gets older the finish may mellow out and get really vintage..looks fine to me ...as long as it plays and sounds good...:dude:

uncajoey

Ya you guys are right. I’m keeping it. It’s stupid of me I need reassurance in that decision. Like I said I just get super OCD on stuff like my guitars not sure if I’m the only one?

ive bought a Les Paul based solely on the beautiful top before and it was not a good player. It looked good on my wall but it was never inspiring to play. This one like I said is the best I’ve ever played. It has THE tone and feeling I want in a guitar. I would be very nervous about giving that up. Although I can’t help but think my Holy Grail Les Paul is somewhere out in the world lol. If I ever run into her I will surely purchase it without too much hesitation.

And like like you guys pointed out as well it is a nice top. For some reason I have perfection engrained in my brain and let it get carried away. Regardless I’m keeping it thanks guys.

Look at the GIANT bald spot in the flame of my 91 Classic! Yikes! 😀.

AB18D477-7780-4652-BB0C-B56692111366.jpg