• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

My new 1958 les paull replica

Patek

I laugh to scorn the idea that Gibson can't make their own guitars in their own image.

I disagree. Perhaps the Bursts, they have indeed made some convincing copies with nice ageing and have managed to get the colour right; but as for the Goldtops, I've never seen anything convincing at all. Their relic (light ageing) just looks like someone has taken a razor blade to the top, and that's about it. And as for the heavy relics, well they look ridiculous.

This is the latest out of the custom shop:

2JpFrI6.jpg

This was another heavy relic (True Historic) that was a UK special that I actually played, and I really liked the feel and the weight; neck felt amazing and it was really resonant unplugged; but it was as ugly as sin so no way could I walk away with that unless it was heavily discounted to enable me to refinish it!

gibson-custom-uk-collection-historic-select-1956-les-paul-standard-heavy-aged-antique-gold-264723.jpg

A complete joke! looks like they just took a blow torch to it. and they wanted £5k (reduced from £7k as it had been sitting around unsold for 2 years)

NYCBURST

And by the way, Has anyone else seen the Gibson website? It's completely changed, there aren't any reissues... It completely redesigned and not for the better, I'm afraid... I think this is the Death Rattle for the Customshop..

Patek

ourmaninthenorth

There is hardly any aging on it. Which may be how it’s meant to be, but they cannot go any further than that before they totally botch it up.

This is how a light relic should be done:

(Sorry I cant link the pics from my phone)

https://www.vintageandrare.com/prod...Replica-Les-Paul-Standard-1957-Goldtop-70361#

For the sake of discretion, I demur to comment on the guitar you've linked.

I've had both guitars in hand, suffice to say, I completely disagree with you.

Pellman73

I guess this post makes me a liar!

couldn't stay away I guess.

man first off that green one looks really weird to me.

but I want to say that the CC 15 I had looked and felt great!

its probably the only guitar I've sold that I REALLY wish I could get back. I've offered the fella too.... maybe at some point he'll give

I don't have any experience holding or playing any real bursts but I thought this one really had a nice relic job on it...

so whether or not they STILL have anyone there who can do it who knows... but I do think they had some great artists there (I think this is circa 2014)

deytookerjaabs

I don't have any experience holding or playing any real bursts but I thought this one really had a nice relic job on it...

Well that's just sad. Many years back around '05 to '08 or so when I went to shows via a dealer & on my own there were a few owners happy to share. Last time I was in Rumble Seat here in Nashville the fella at the counter insisted I play one (and more) after I told him I could afford a pack of strings. Beyond random unsolicited experiences and a couple walk ins at the shop I've played at least 15 or so PAF Les Pauls from the 50's IIRC.

On the flip side, I'll admit to having been to a lot of places where I get a dirty look if I walk to close to, gasp, a guitar priced at 4 figures and I remember feeling like an outcast the first time I saw a 50's strat behind a glass case :hee

It's just funny how the mix of their popularity/rarity kind of grow together to a point where they're like an enigma.

You're an enthusiast of the highest degree, if you're ever in Nashville go to Rumble Seat and if you get the chance to go to the Philly or Arlington or Villa Park (if it's still around?) guitar shows. You might have a religious experience or you might think "man this is cool as ****" playing this piece of history.

Pellman73

Well that's just sad. Many years back around '05 to '08 or so when I went to shows via a dealer & on my own there were a few owners happy to share. Last time I was in Rumble Seat here in Nashville the fella at the counter insisted I play one (and more) after I told him I could afford a pack of strings. Beyond random unsolicited experiences and a couple walk ins at the shop I've played at least 15 or so PAF Les Pauls from the 50's IIRC.

On the flip side, I'll admit to having been to a lot of places where I get a dirty look if I walk to close to, gasp, a guitar priced at 4 figures and I remember feeling like an outcast the first time I saw a 50's strat behind a glass case :hee

It's just funny how the mix of their popularity/rarity kind of grow together to a point where they're like an enigma.

You're an enthusiast of the highest degree, if you're ever in Nashville go to Rumble Seat and if you get the chance to go to the Philly or Arlington or Villa Park (if it's still around?) guitar shows. You might have a religious experience or you might think "man this is cool as ****" playing this piece of history.

Its not a matter of if but when!

My life and job make it hard for me to get away

I would love to do everything and above that you describe

maybe if Corpse and I head up to Nashville you could meet us (aren't you around there)

We've talked about a trip

deytookerjaabs

maybe if Corpse and I head up to Nashville you could meet us (aren't you around there)

Heck yeah I'd be down with that

pinefd

Not sure if this is what you're referring to or not, but you should try and make it to the Nashville guitar show (in Franklin) April 6th and 7th. You'll probably be able to meet up with a lot of people from this forum at that show. I'm hoping to make it there myself.

Frank

NYCBURST

This thing looks hideous.
The one posted by OMITN is very realistic.
This one, not at all. :ganz

But, it does say Gibson on it, so I'm sure the posers will love it. :rolleyes

Wow, I kind of feel the same way about you as a musician and a guitar player. You've got a lot of guts calling people you don't even know "posers".

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Wow, I kind of feel the same way about you as a musician and a guitar player. You've got a lot of guts calling people you don't even know "posers".

And yet, you also call me a poser and you don't know me. Go figure. :ganz

NYCBURST

And yet, you also call me a poser and you don't know me. Go figure. :ganz

No, I clearly said "I kind of feel the same way" ... I think it takes a great deal of nerve to call a bunch of guys on this forum "posers" because
they own replica Les Pauls, some of us own some great vintage guitars also. I can't believe you would say that.

NYCBURST

it's not a replica if the real company is still in business. it's a fake

If you want to pay Gibson 6 or 7 k for a reissue of a 59 with plastic lacquers, farm raised wood and electronics that are not even close to
an original 59, that is your right to do so, I'd rather pay a private luthier to use old growth woods and the correct parts true to
a 59. You can call replicas fakes all day long, it doesn't bother me. I like them for the tone and the feel. I pickup the Gibson true historics
and feel as though those are fake 59's.. They're still great guitars, but not as true to a 59 as some of us would like. It's about what you like.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
No, I clearly said "I kind of feel the same way" ... I think it takes a great deal of nerve to call a bunch of guys on this forum "posers" because they own replica Les Pauls, some of us own some great vintage guitars also. I can't believe you would say that.

I didn't say it was because they owned them. Go back and read my posts. You have jumped to the wrong conclusion.

I call people "posers" who demand that Gibson and Les Paul be written on their replicas and will not buy them otherwise.

I also asked what other purpose is their for forging these names and never got an answer.
Please answer that question NYCBURST. :hmm