• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Longer bridge studs for tune-o-matic?

bluesbreaker88

I've been thinking about replacing the bridge on my '01 Classic to get rid of some of the wire rattle that the stock ones are notorious for, and I'm thinking about going with a Faber, nickel replacement. I see on their site that they offer longer bridge studs that, "enable them to bottom out in the in the factory stud hole for better tone and sustain". Has anyone used these or similar longer studs that can speak on whether they're worth the extra $?

Thanks!

MeHereNow

I've been thinking about replacing the bridge on my '01 Classic to get rid of some of the wire rattle that the stock ones are notorious for, and I'm thinking about going with a Faber, nickel replacement. I see on their site that they offer longer bridge studs that, "enable them to bottom out in the in the factory stud hole for better tone and sustain". Has anyone used these or similar longer studs that can speak on whether they're worth the extra $?

Thanks!

Search "mapleflame mod" here.
:salude

TM1

Search "mapleflame mod" here.
:salude
Yes, see the “Thanks Mapleflame” post from, I think 2007 is when I started it... It’s long but offers a lot of detail on using longer bridge posts.

TM1

You won't be sorry! It's subtle but noticable.

jimmymack

I played around with bridge variations on my Lucille, way back when the "Mapleflame" mod was airing.
Going to a SS bridge stud helped a lot and I did bottom it out on the bass side. On the treble side I re-installed the stock brass stud, as the SS changed the tone dramatically and not to my liking. Especially when bottomed out. ?????

An aluminum LW tailpiece also helped with tone and resonance.

I kept the stock bridge after trying a SS bridge. Too metallic and bright! The guitar no longer sounded like a semi-hollow.

You need to try, to experiment, and decide for yourself, on your particular instrument which will undoubtedly be different from mine

Good luck and have fun learning.