• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

L.P. Studio pickup question

Gizmo59

YIKES!
Hi guys, been a while since I posted here. I purchased a 2011 LP Studio about 2 years ago and I would like to determine what pickups are in it. Everything I have read says they came with Burstbucker Pros, but how can I tell. When I first got it the pickups did not have covers and since there was no solder on the bottom plate, they never had covers until I had them added. The wiring in the cavity appears to have been somewhat modified, but it still has the push/pull volume pots and the tone pots appear original with tiny blue capacitors.
Is there any way to examine the pickups to determine what they are?
I'm pretty satisfied with the sound of this guitar (except the sound when they are tapped, very weak) and I love the light weight, resonance, and fairly thicker neck compared to current ones with skinny necks. However, I would like to know what the pickups are in case I want to research swapping them out.
TIA,
Gizmo59

Gizmo59

YIKES!
Probably 490/498 not Burstbuckers

That's what I'm thinking. I would like to try a set of 57 classics, but they cost almost as much as the paid for the guitar and I'm not sure if the difference would be worth the expense.

Zentar

Look online used. I wouldn't spend new prices either for Classics. They're $200 a set new!
I put a set of new Hot Rodders Seymour Duns in but they Run only about $135 new per set. They aren't paf style but they sounded better than the 490/498 in my 2009 Studio. They play clssic rock very nicely. I was surprised how well I liked them. I was not a fan of the original 490/498 my Studio came with. I think the 490/498 are meant to be matched up with 500k pots but the Studios used 300k back then

Gizmo59

YIKES!
I just remembered, I have an HB-L and HB-R set from the 90's. Wonder how they would sound? Hmmmm.

Zentar

I've not heard of those but a Studio can produce sounds equaling a LP Standard so be sure you put quality parts in so you can get the most out of it.