The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Re: 1960 Burst Restoration

Personally, I would have kept it as a natural top custom- but that's just my taste.

I think it's bittersweet: on one hand, a unique custom is lost but on the other, you have an instrument that is probably up there with the very best examples. And, due to the nature of the project, more liberty could be taken to create an incredible frankenburst exactly to your personal specifications.

Les Paul Forum Member

Just out of curiosity, what was the asking price when this was for sale? What original parts were on it? Did it have the original case? What sites was it advertised on? What shows was it at? I don't remember seeing it for sale online or at either of the shows that I regularly attend, San Francisco and Los Angeles.

Quote Originally Posted by VamboRool View Post
    Just out of curiosity, what was the asking price when this was for sale? What original parts were on it? Did it have the original case? What sites was it advertised on? What shows was it at? I don't remember seeing it for sale online or at either of the shows that I regularly attend, San Francisco and Los Angeles.
    I saw it in person at the Nashville show (when it had the yellowish HM refin). Memory says the price was around 6 figures. I think it was also on Ebay at the time.

Bumping this ol' thread that was a joy to read.

Reminds me of a doc I saw years ago on P-51 Mustang aircraft. There's a very select number left in the world, and all the owners know each other very well and get together quite often. They're a tight group. If tragedy strikes and one of these planes crash, the members of this club mourn the loss of the plane 1st, and the pilot secondarily.

In the Zone/Backstage Pass

Quote Originally Posted by VamboRool View Post
    From what has been presented, the guitar was sold new as a black, three pick-up, ebony fingerboard, large split diamond headstock Custom. Now it is neither a Custom or a Standard, I guess it is a Custard.
    Now, that's funny!

Les Paul Forum Member Shocktop99's Avatar

Good thread to revive! a interesting read for sure! Sad to see a Custom be made into a Standard, but we all do what we want with our guitars so I can't really be upset by it! Neat Read anyway!!
    1979 Wine Red Gibson Les Paul Custom
    1984 Roland Jazz Chorus 120
    2019 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe George Benson Signature
    2019 2x12OG Emperor Cab
    1983 Fender Stratocaster Elite

"When you plug it in... when it gets electric, its just a complete different world."

-Adam Jones Circa 1994

"Live wrong and Perspire"
    -Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by Shocktop99 View Post
    Good thread to revive! a interesting read for sure! Sad to see a Custom be made into a Standard, but we all do what we want with our guitars so I can't really be upset by it! Neat Read anyway!!
    Mixed emotions at seeing this work... He did a great job, amazing really. I gather that prior to this restoration? conversion? this guitar was original.
    I have reservations about altering all original "history" pieces but if the guitar has already been altered or modded then I don't think there is any crime in bringing it to where you want it. I am sure there is some disagreement about that but I see no point in preserving the history of someone else's modification history. There I said it...

Seeing the work done to that Custom makes me wonder about the values of all the conversions we seem to be seeing these days.

Do you think these were mainly done in the years where vintage prices were higher to get a better return on a "common" or "lowly" Goldtop, such as the '52 or early '53 models that sold for so little, at least until the new bridges became available?

With the amazing work being done by today's luthiers who in the heck would buy one without prior knowledge of the work being done to it?

Just scratching my head here! What do these conversions sell for? Opinions welcome!
    Last edited by BGReed2; 06-03-19 at 08:53 PM.
    "Know tubes, know tone. No tubes, no tone"

For anyone still interested, I wasn’t happy with the quite dark ‘pre faded’ burst I shot, so opted for a classic ‘60 sunburst like what it might have received from the factory:

The flame really pops now, and it gives me flashbacks to thumbing through BOTB as a feverish, Burst obsessed youngster

Of particular note is the front zebra pickup which is the only factory zebra coil ‘62 PAT No I’ve ever seen or heard of! Baffling how it came to be, but it’s totally legit and sounds exceptional! The perfect pickup for this guitar imho.

Here’s another view:

All being well I should have a video of LPF buddy Jarod James Nichols playing it through a Friedman plexi this afternoon, and I hope to share that in due course

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner Tom Wittrock's Avatar

Nice color!
    Pauls to the walls!

Hüter der Flammen!

PLEASE SUPPORT www.burstserial.com !!
    Click here: www.burstserial.com

Killer work Yukki. As always restoring some so the next generation of guitarists has a chance at owning something really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumping@Shadows View Post
    No guitar strap!

I'd have been having kittens !

Looks tons better Yuuki, I like the new look very much.

Rob.
    -----------------
    Rob Livesey
    Manchester, UK

Les Paul Forum Member MapleFlame's Avatar

Sounds terrific
    Top carves are sexy

Killer tone, I love the top end, sweet, full & nasty...!!

Fantastic documentation and a fabulous result. Kudo's.