• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

74/75 ES 335: specs?

StSpider

I recently had in my hand a 74/75 335 and was really impressed by it. Frankly, sounded really great. Beefy neck, good weight, lots of clarity and punch. Sadly it wasn't for sale.

I'm no expert on 70s 335s, but I did pick out a few specs here and there: three piece neck with a volute, trapeze tailpiece, nylon saddles. No idea what the pickups were, they were humbuckers ofc with regular chrome covers and original to the guitar.

I'm expecially curious about the neck, because I though all three pieces were maple necks, but this definitely looked like mahogany to me. Is it possible or am I mistaken?

Any distinctive characteristic to these year 335 that I should keep in mind if I were to look for a similiar one around?

Thanks a lot.

deytookerjaabs

I recently had in my hand a 74/75 335 and was really impressed by it. Frankly, sounded really great. Beefy neck, good weight, lots of clarity and punch. Sadly it wasn't for sale.

I'm no expert on 70s 335s, but I did pick out a few specs here and there: three piece neck with a volute, trapeze tailpiece, nylon saddles. No idea what the pickups were, they were humbuckers ofc with regular chrome covers and original to the guitar.

I'm expecially curious about the neck, because I though all three pieces were maple necks, but this definitely looked like mahogany to me. Is it possible or am I mistaken?

Any distinctive characteristic to these year 335 that I should keep in mind if I were to look for a similiar one around?

Thanks a lot.

That's all normal stuff, 3 piece mahogany came before 3 piece maple. Sleeper guitars for sure as they're well derided, sadly often with fake "facts," by dot/vintage aficionados yet all the cats were playing the various incarnations of late 60's and 70's ES' back in the day. They've got their own flavor no doubt when compared to the first couple 335 types that came out.

StSpider

By poking around I seem to get that for some years, like 72 to 75, 335 were built differently than usual, with the center block not going all the way to the bottom of the body but rather stopping a little after the abr posts.

I guess this would make the trapeze tailpiece mandatory and would also give a bit more of a "330" vibe. I love my 330 so that might have a little bit to do with me loving that guitar.

Frutiger

By poking around I seem to get that for some years, like 72 to 75, 335 were built differently than usual, with the center block not going all the way to the bottom of the body but rather stopping a little after the abr posts.

I guess this would make the trapeze tailpiece mandatory and would also give a bit more of a "330" vibe. I love my 330 so that might have a little bit to do with me loving that guitar.

A couple of years ago I had a '72 which I really liked but went in trade with some other ES guitars for a '56 PAF converted Les Paul Custom. Although my '72 had the short centre block, it did go far enough back that someone had converted it to stoptail. Pickups should be stickered T-tops for the early 70s models.

The strangest thing about mine was the shape. It was completely different in the horns and waist to a 60's 335 - like someone had thrown away the plans and just drawn it from memory!

Still a cool guitar and it held its own against the '62 335 I also had at the time. As said, they have their own thing going on for sure.

D.MAX

A couple of years ago I had a '72 which I really liked but went in trade with some other ES guitars for a '56 PAF converted Les Paul Custom. Although my '72 had the short centre block, it did go far enough back that someone had converted it to stoptail. Pickups should be stickered T-tops for the early 70s models.

The strangest thing about mine was the shape. It was completely different in the horns and waist to a 60's 335 - like someone had thrown away the plans and just drawn it from memory!

Still a cool guitar and it held its own against the '62 335 I also had at the time. As said, they have their own thing going on for sure.

Thanks. I have tried to figure out the year of my ES-335. I bought it used in 1979 and I was told it was a '70, but it has the shortened center block (actually just part of it is missing - from the back of the neck pickup to the back of the bridge pickup). I thought that 1973 was the only year they did this but it sounds like perhaps it could be a '72.

Anyway, it plays great and the pickups have a nice growl.

Progrocker111

TI bought it used in 1979 and I was told it was a '70, but it has the shortened center block (actually just part of it is missing - from the back of the neck pickup to the back of the bridge pickup). I thought that 1973 was the only year they did this but it sounds like perhaps it could be a '72.

Anyway, it plays great and the pickups have a nice growl.

First digit of serial number could date it more precisely. :)