• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

True Historic 1958 Les Paul sounds thin

B.Shredfingers

I have bought many historics, it’s the pickup. Gibson pickups are bad to mediocre.

Everything becomes so much better after new pickups.

Sometimes but the pickups in my Les Paul are amazing and the ones in my Epiphone Les Paul are just as good. Maybe that's the answer but I don't feel Gibson pickups are generally bad to mediocre as you mention.

B.Shredfingers

Hey guys,

Just an update.

Well I checked the pickups, neck is about 8k and bridge is about 8.2k. Seems ok.
Adjusted the pickup height and still pretty much the same thin sounding guitar.

Was so disappointed until I changed both stock volume pots to Gibson standard ones (only had 2 new pots, so decided to change the volume pots and left the tone pots stock).
WOWWW what a difference it made! Seems like the sound is amplified and so much more creamier!
The sound that I had prior to changing the pots was like ‘level 8’ on the current volume setting.

So stocked right now!

This is awesome. Just goes to show that "know-it-alls" claiming they've bought very expensive Gibsons (sure they did....) don't know jack.

corpse

This is awesome. Just goes to show that "know-it-alls" claiming they've bought very expensive Gibsons (sure they did....) don't know jack.

And yet you come here with your questions.

I thought Canadians were supposed to be nice. I guess I am a racist.

Gold Tone

And yet you come here with your questions.

I thought Canadians were supposed to be nice. I guess I am a racist.

WTF are you attacking me for. You generalize about my countrymen based on a single post on a chat forum?!?!?