• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

2002 R8 Gibson Custom Les Paul that will not stay in tune no matter what !

maxcarp709

Please keep us posted.One thing Gibson guitars are noted for is staying in tune and good intonation.I can leave my ES 335 or Heritage H140 in the case for weeks and they will still be in tune when I pull them out again

Big Al

Just saw this. From what you say, I'm pretty sure the problem is incorrectly cut nut slots. You say you hear a ping, which is symptomatic with too narrow or deep slots. Lube will not fix this. The fix is as simple as having the nut properly slotted.

Not replaced. Unless the nut is cut too deep, (doubtful), there is no reason to replace. The slots should be deep enough to hold the string, about half the diameter, with a back angle from the forward edge towards the string post.

I usually have a wider slot on the back, angled portion also. It is important to polish the slot to have smooth sides and a rounded bottom. My precisely gauged nut files have a U shape to insure this and are a great investment for any adept guitarist.

El Gringo

Just saw this. From what you say, I'm pretty sure the problem is incorrectly cut nut slots. You say you hear a ping, which is symptomatic with too narrow or deep slots. Lube will not fix this. The fix is as simple as having the nut properly slotted.

Not replaced. Unless the nut is cut too deep, (doubtful), there is no reason to replace. The slots should be deep enough to hold the string, about half the diameter, with a back angle from the forward edge towards the string post.

I usually have a wider slot on the back, angled portion also. It is important to polish the slot to have smooth sides and a rounded bottom. My precisely gauged nut files have a U shape to insure this and are a great investment for any adept guitarist.
Thanks Big Al , I have shipped out the guitar yesterday for service . I trashed the nut and the ABR-1 with sand paper and the jewelers file on both the nut and the ABR-1 , and good riddance as well and now the tech will have a blank slate to work on and I am fairly confident that finally this mess will be sorted out . I have had this expletive since April 2018 and never ever have I had a headache to this degree with a Gibson or a Fender for that matter and I hold myself responsible. # 1 from where and whom I purchased (flushed down the toilet $ ) # 2 and for getting frustrated and taking maters into my own non technical, non skilled hands for trashing the nut and the ABR-1 bridge .

El Gringo

"It" is with the tech , currently being inspected and hopefully on it's way to being resolved one way or the other ( which of course is one of my favorite Blondie songs ) (does everyone remember Blondie and Debbie Harry ?)

El Gringo

Anticipation is killing me waiting patiently to find out if this Les Paul will be saved or not and I will wait patiently and not bother my Tech , one way or another this will be resolved .

El Gringo

MAJOR UPDATE , she is coming home today as I will be picking her up this afternoon from the UPS Store and finally bringing her home ! I feel pretty confident that this quilt top R8 will finally be a real & proper playing Les Paul as she just got a new nut and a new ABR-1 non wire bridge to go along with her new wiring harness and ThroBak pickups of which the harness and pickups were done a year ago and now finally she will play and stay in tune courtesy of the finest service from THE MUSIC ZOO . I will give an update and assessment after I play her .

AA00475Bassman

XQhfgBQ.jpg
[/IMG]
El Toro hope you got da fix , I found a little Black hair grease goes a long way !! Stay lubed my friend !!

El Gringo

The Les Paul R8 Quilt Top is FIXED finally !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Major Compliments to the Music Zoo finest Master Tech and Artisan Pete The Tech . Oh My God , what a tremendous job and salvage of this destined once for the wood chipper Les Paul . I don't know how he did it with his miracle man and Blessed By God Hands but he fixed it . The nut replacement with the correct 6/6 nylon nut and the new replacement Non Wire ABR-1 Bridge have been installed . To my naked eye it looks like this came from Gibson Custom . You cannot tell that the nut was removed and replaced and I have a very keen eye for the smallest details and that is where the artisan label comes from as I don't know how he removed the nut without causing any finish damage or dings and dents in the area surrounding the nut on the headstock .To me this is serious work to not leave a mark or blemish of any kind what so ever ! The guitar now finally plays and stays in tune and intonates properly once and for all . I love the feel of the chunky neck in my left hand and this guitar sings with a really nice tone. This guitar is now fun to play after 18 months of hell . Seriously The Music Zoo is the best !!!!!!!!!!!! A great place to shop for your Custom Shop instruments and if they don't have it in stock they can get it from Gibson Custom so easily and for me the best place to have my guitars taken care of , as I just sent them my 1994 Gibson Les Paul Premium Plus Classic for a new ThroBak 50's Wiring Harness and ThroBak MXV -SLE -101 Plus pickups (which now will make it 7 Les Paul's with ThroBak 101 Plus pickups for me ) The Music Zoo is awesome !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

goldtop0

Okay gotcha now El Gringo.....and glad it's remedied:2cool

I'm about to send my '13 R8 plaintop to my tech because it's never ever stayed in tune.
I bought it sight unplayed from a forum sponsor also(I'm in NZ) but have no gripe with the dealer, as to me it's just the luck or otherwise of the draw.
The LP rings and is louder acoustically and plugged in(a rich rounded tone) more so than any other LP I've played or owned over the years and that includes 50s/60s vintage ones that I've been able to spend time with.
The Custombucker bridge pup is to die for and everything I could hope for tonally with good bite and finesse combined.
My tech will sort it out for sure and reading this thread has given me greater awareness of what might be the contributing factors to the problem.
All the best.
Steve

El Gringo

Okay gotcha now El Gringo.....and glad it's remedied:2cool

I'm about to send my '13 R8 plaintop to my tech because it's never ever stayed in tune.
I bought it sight unplayed from a forum sponsor also(I'm in NZ) but have no gripe with the dealer, as to me it's just the luck or otherwise of the draw.
The LP rings and is louder acoustically and plugged in(a rich rounded tone) more so than any other LP I've played or owned over the years and that includes 50s/60s vintage ones that I've been able to spend time with.
The Custombucker bridge pup is to die for and everything I could hope for tonally with good bite and finesse combined.
My tech will sort it out for sure and reading this thread has given me greater awareness of what might be the contributing factors to the problem.
All the best.
Steve

Well if I helped you in any way with info and awareness than that is awesome and makes me happy . After all that is why I am here to learn about my favorite pastime of making music with the guitar . Please let me know how you make it as I would be most interested . Best Wishes !

goldtop0

Well if I helped you in any way with info and awareness than that is awesome and makes me happy . After all that is why I am here to learn about my favorite pastime of making music with the guitar . Please let me know how you make it as I would be most interested . Best Wishes !

Will do.......it's always an interesting journey:salude