• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Anyone experiment with multi-amp setups that include tweeds and other vintage amps ?

F-Hole

Yes, usually an 18w Marshall together with an early Vox AC15 (or, alternatively, a 59 Super).

BurstWurst

I've tried this several times over the years, with a variety of vintage amps. It's great, on stage, for the player. However it creates a bit of a conundrum for the the sound guy as he can't always know which amp the player is hoping will be featured. When I do sound and a guitar player shows up with a two amp setup, I don't get too excited over it. Nearly 40 years ago I had a tech modify a Morley pedal into a pan between two outputs, each output to a different amp (blackface twin and Marshall super Lead). That was a pretty cool and unique setup. And really loud!

brandtkronholm

I've tried this several times over the years, with a variety of vintage amps. It's great, on stage, for the player. However it creates a bit of a conundrum for the the sound guy as he can't always know which amp the player is hoping will be featured. When I do sound and a guitar player shows up with a two amp setup, I don't get too excited over it. Nearly 40 years ago I had a tech modify a Morley pedal into a pan between two outputs, each output to a different amp (blackface twin and Marshall super Lead). That was a pretty cool and unique setup. And really loud!

I did this very same thing for a while. I used a Morley Stereo Volume pedal with an ABY box to “roll” between a Mesa Boogie MKIII and a BF Twin Reverb. It was LOUD, especially with extra cabs; Boogie + 4x12 & Twin + 2x12. Sometimes it was one mic for the amps set up at 90 degrees or two mics with the amps next to each other for a big stage. Again, loud, but I had loads of control.

The Twin was a reissue and the Boogie had some “vintage” sonic qualities but it wasn’t about using a specific amp for a specific song, it was about getting “the sound” and being loud for big rooms. I abandoned this set up because it became musically complicated. In other words, I wasn’t getting the sound. It presented too many options and so I removed the Twin from the equation.

The Shifter

I run two amps a lot. Almost always, and AC15 is one of them. In my experience, that is one of the best "blending" amps out there.

I like the Radial Twin Cities for using two amps. Being able to flip the phase is super handy.