• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Late 70's V4-B

Strings Jr.

I know it’s The LP Forum, but I’m pretty sure we have some bass players here. This is my late 70’s Ampeg V4-B. I’ve owned it for 20+ years, and it still looks great and sounds great. I don’t gig with it anymore, but I still use it occasionally for rehearsals. I’m no expert, but I believe the amp is 100% original. The tubes even look original. Part of me would like to have new tubes, caps, etc., but then I hate to mess with the originality. It’s only original once. What do you suggest?

It still has this little Service sticker on the inside with the matching serial number.

brandtkronholm

I had one of these (it may have been a B?) a long time ago. It was fat-n-loud, a tiny bit mushy yet nice, with a 4x12 and then with a 2x12. I don't think I ever gigged or recorded with it, but it was interesting.

I say: New tubes are where to start. Original tubes in an old amp are pretty much like original strings on an old guitar. Changing the tubes doesn't affect the originality. (There are rare exceptions.) If it makes a funny noise then that's when to deeper into replacing/investigating parts for the amp. Please play loudly.

J.D.

If you're not gigging it I wouldn't do much more than a preventive pot clean/lube every so often. Tubes and caps will eventually need replacement but for home use I wouldn't be as concerned.

BurstWurst

I remember having a similar V2 when I was a kid, with a monstrous 2x12" cab. Sold the cab to a friend. He told me later that he stripped out the speakers from the cab and literally threw the cabinet into the river..... I recall the V2 as having a very "throaty" sound and like brandtkronholm found it to also to be a bit on the "mushy" side. I think I got the amp after seeing the Stones were using an exclusively Ampeg back line.

brandtkronholm

I remember having a similar V2 when I was a kid, with a monstrous 2x12" cab. Sold the cab to a friend. He told me later that he stripped out the speakers from the cab and literally threw the cabinet into the river..... I recall the V2 as having a very "throaty" sound and like brandtkronholm found it to also to be a bit on the "mushy" side. I think I got the amp after seeing the Stones were using an exclusively Ampeg back line.

- Amazing! When I acquired my Ampeg V4 I was told it was once part of the Stones' back-line for an American tour. There was no stencilling on the amp or the 8x10 SVT cab (handle bar & wheels) that came along with it, so who knows if it was true or not. I was more interested in the cab...it quickly found use under a proper SVT...

Wally

IF I were going to play it, I would have to recap it. There should be nothing spongy about the sound of one of these as long as the filter caps are fresh. Imho, fresh electrolytics do not affect the value of an original amp either. The tubes might tually be good to go...whereas electrolytics that are almost 50 years old have issues.
BurstWurst, are you sure that that cab under that V2 was not a huge 4 x 12. The cab for the V2 was actually the same cab that came under the B25 except the B25 carried 2 x 15's versus the 4 x 12's in the V2's cab. I have a 4 x 12 V2 cab sitting here.....it might make a good small raft???

BurstWurst

.............BurstWurst, are you sure that that cab under that V2 was not a huge 4 x 12. The cab for the V2 was actually the same cab that came under the B25 except the B25 carried 2 x 15's versus the 4 x 12's in the V2's cab. I have a 4 x 12 V2 cab sitting here.....it might make a good small raft???
Wally,it's been soooo long ago, it's quite possible I'm foggy on that memory. Perhaps it was a 4x12". Was certainly heavy enough to be so. It's in the pic, but topped off with a 100W Superlead, before it went for it's little river cruise. Just don't forget to plug the input jack before you go sailing.......

Bass player is saying, "hey, I can't hear the monitors"...... LOL

Last edited: