The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
LilyPix
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite

See these 2 pics - everything ok?

Hello everyone,

Just to check if everything's ok with this 2001 LP Jr. Here are the photos: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ktnmudvb6...Aq9DEXxHa?dl=0

Never seen those lines before on headstocks or bodies but I'm no Gibson expert.

Thanks for your input!
    1999-2000 Am. Std. Tele & Strat / 2001 Les Paul Jr. | Diamond Comp > Whammy 5 > TC PolyTune 2 > Fulltone Clyde Deluxe > Fulltone FatBoost 3 > Dawner Boonar | Mesa F-50 / Roland JC-77

Les Paul Forum Member

Re: See these 2 pics - everything ok?

this is fine, the paint on the headstock is delaminating from the fiber veneer, which happens quite often, the line on the body is just the grain

Cool, thanks, I was worried some structural failures were bound to happen

1999-2000 Am. Std. Tele & Strat / 2001 Les Paul Jr. | Diamond Comp > Whammy 5 > TC PolyTune 2 > Fulltone Clyde Deluxe > Fulltone FatBoost 3 > Dawner Boonar | Mesa F-50 / Roland JC-77

Les Paul Forum Member

The headstock finish cracks are caused by over torquing the nuts on the tuners. Someone may have used a ratchet wrench. It is better to use a socket and just finger tighten w/o a ratchet.

Quote Originally Posted by Zentar View Post
    The headstock finish cracks are caused by over torquing the nuts on the tuners. Someone may have used a ratchet wrench. It is better to use a socket and just finger tighten w/o a ratchet.
    Ouch, this sounds really bad. I bought it used. What should I do? Take it to a luthier?

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pulteney View Post
    Ouch, this sounds really bad. I bought it used. What should I do? Take it to a luthier?
    The nitro finishes are very hard, brittle, beautiful finishes but being brittle they tend to crack. It's sorta normal. I would just ignore it. Put some of your own scratches on it. Maybe burn some cigarette marks too.

Yea you can let a luthier refinish the headstock. Drop by a luthier shop and see if you like his price. Might not be very much.

Quote Originally Posted by Zentar View Post
    The nitro finishes are very hard, brittle, beautiful finishes but being brittle they tend to crack. It's sorta normal. I would just ignore it. Put some of your own scratches on it. Maybe burn some cigarette marks too.

Yea you can let a luthier refinish the headstock. Drop by a luthier shop and see if you like his price. Might not be very much.
    Thanks. I'm not too worried about how it looks to be honest, you can't really see it unless you're REALLY close. Just worried the headstock might snap or something

Hate to be that guy... just to be sure there's no more risk than usual of breaking the headstock. Thanks
    Last edited by pulteney; 11-10-18 at 12:25 PM.