• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

See these 2 pics - everything ok?

fred dons

this is fine, the paint on the headstock is delaminating from the fiber veneer, which happens quite often, the line on the body is just the grain

pulteney

Cool, thanks, I was worried some structural failures were bound to happen

:teeth

Zentar

The headstock finish cracks are caused by over torquing the nuts on the tuners. Someone may have used a ratchet wrench. It is better to use a socket and just finger tighten w/o a ratchet.

pulteney

The headstock finish cracks are caused by over torquing the nuts on the tuners. Someone may have used a ratchet wrench. It is better to use a socket and just finger tighten w/o a ratchet.
Ouch, this sounds really bad. I bought it used. What should I do? Take it to a luthier?

Zentar

Ouch, this sounds really bad. I bought it used. What should I do? Take it to a luthier?

The nitro finishes are very hard, brittle, beautiful finishes but being brittle they tend to crack. It's sorta normal. I would just ignore it. Put some of your own scratches on it. Maybe burn some cigarette marks too.

Yea you can let a luthier refinish the headstock. Drop by a luthier shop and see if you like his price. Might not be very much.

pulteney

The nitro finishes are very hard, brittle, beautiful finishes but being brittle they tend to crack. It's sorta normal. I would just ignore it. Put some of your own scratches on it. Maybe burn some cigarette marks too.

Yea you can let a luthier refinish the headstock. Drop by a luthier shop and see if you like his price. Might not be very much.
Thanks. I'm not too worried about how it looks to be honest, you can't really see it unless you're REALLY close. Just worried the headstock might snap or something :hippy