• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

2017 58/59 Les Paul RI ´s infos

electricsky

image.jpgI was looking for some infos about 2017 59 Les Paul ( standard , VOS , CC , TH ,JSR ,SR ,M2M ...) , as i saw one with a top i like in USA ( couldn't try it as i am in France ) and i saw some have a gap between the fingerboard and Neck PU .
Obviously , i searched some topics about that on this forum and myLP forum but could not find many infos about it .
One person was saying that the five digits ones have that gap whereas the 6 digits don't but the one i saw has the gap despite beeing six digits serial number .

Could you tell me how big is that gap on your 2017 58/59 LP RI as i wonder if they are all the same size ?

The one i saw seems to have a gap (click on picture above to see it ) about 1,8 to 2mm ( 0,0708 to 0,0787 ) but some i saw on pictures seem to have smaller gaps although it might be the picture .

I know some original have a gap like that but it's not easy to guess the size of the gaps on the ones on Beauty of the Burst book for example , Just looking at the picture !

Is it something that would bother you buying a 58/59 RI ( thinking about if it could be a problem if selling such a guitar ) if the top is great and tone good too ?

Last edited:

MagicBus

My 2017 '58 standard Historic has a gap of maybe 1mm or so. Doesn't bother me in the slightest.

El Gringo

I see the gap as well as what looks to me like a very fine looking figured top as well as a nice color Burst .

Tim Plains

Wouldn't bother me. "A historically correct feature for 2017" for your future for sale ad.

electricsky

My 2017 '58 standard Historic has a gap of maybe 1mm or so. Doesn't bother me in the slightest.

1mm ?
About the size of a extra heavy fender pick .

So it seems to vary from a guitar to another in 2017 , it's surprising !

Do they setup the machine to cut the pu's cavities ,for each guitar ?

I wonder if it was done intentionaly or not ?

i have had several original gold top from 53 to 56 and the gap was different on each , up to 5mm i believe on one of them but it never bothered me on those guitars , so i wonder if it would on a 59 RI .

I was asking that also because i saw some comments where some people were saying they were bothered with that and i was wondering if i buy it and that i need to sell it in the future, if it could be a problem with some buyers ( or just very few of them ).

Wambemando

The gap on my '17 Historic 1958 Standard (repurposed CC29) measures .021 (0.53mm).