• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Need help deciding between a 2010 Custom Shop CS356 and a 2000 Dot ES335

miczap

As per title, I need help choosing between a CS356 2010 and a ES335 dot from 2000.

I've played the 335 and it handles pretty dreamy- great tones, good times.

A CS356 has come up for not too much more money with lots of sexy hardware, inlays and custom shop trimmings and i'm a bit torn.

From what I have read, the 356 isn't really a semi-hollow- at least, not in the same way, and doesn't have that mid-tone honk that the es335 supplies- on the other hand, as it is a custom shop, I presume there are some build quality benefits and a great tone regardless.

What do you think?

brandtkronholm

Duh...
latest

clayville

Maybe this will help: a 2003 CS-356 has been my primary guitar for 15 years now and it has never disappointed me playing blues, rock and sometimes funk or jazz. I'm not the largest guy in the world and I really love its smaller size in comparison to a 335. Mine weighs 7.1 pounds. CS-356's are constructed more like a hollowed out LP with F-holes than like a 335. The back and sides on a 356 (and a 336) are routed from a solid slab of mahogany leaving large sound chambers and a central block inside that are all the same piece of wood, then the bookmatched maple top is attached and carved (with f-holes) like a Les Paul. A 335 on the other hand is pressed and bent from several plywood parts (back, sides, top) that are sandwiched around a centerblock.

In my view, CS-356's are extremely versatile guitars capable of producing a really wide range of sound - warm and woody on the neck pickup and capable of being brighter on the bridge pickup (almost Tele-like) than is typical in, say, a humbuckered LP and all that is available to the player with a little on-board knob twisting. To me it has an overall sound that is somewhat "scooped" - stronger lows and stronger highs, with less mids than an LP or 335 player might be used to hearing.

It's hard to go wrong in your choice here. What I always say is that my CS-356 can get everything "I" need in the sound range between a 335 and an LP without quite getting to either end of that scale - and as much as I find that really versatile and useful, not lacking anything I need or want sound-wise, if the sound YOU'RE chasing is that of a mids-heavy ES-335 you should probably get the 335.

miczap

I'm actually leaning to this to be honest. Both are beautiful guitars in their own right, and seem to offer different sounds. If I can convince the 356 seller to hold off for a month I can probably work it so I can get both.

brandtkronholm

I'm actually leaning to this to be honest. Both are beautiful guitars in their own right, and seem to offer different sounds. If I can convince the 356 seller to hold off for a month I can probably work it so I can get both.

153yec.jpg

Pellman73

can I throw a fly in the ointment?

get a warren haynes 335

there's one on reverb now

I"ve got one and its effing killer (if you have the dough to buy both of those other guitars)

Theres a lot of people who feel that's one of the best ones gibson has done in a while

I love mine- its a keeper

miczap

Oh man, I've heard great things...

BUT

I do not buy a guitar that I can't play first- and there isn't a WH 335 anywhere near me. That being said- i'll keep a keen eye out if one comes up for sale.

I tell you what, this 2000 dot wasn't custom shop or anything, but god damn, it feels amazing and has definitely has got 'it'. It's a Nashville build with a nice figured maple, Classic 57' PAFs and sounds killer.

I sound very resolved I guess, but I also love how 'special' custom shop builds are...

1jamman

I have both types and would say ,don't look at where it was built . But How does the guitar work for you ? Pick the better playing guitar .

My 2009 ES-356 Korina is a "Keeper" (I to, love Bling). A very Fine guitar But it is not a 335 . tonally they are different . the 356 is more a mix of a LP and 335 in tone/sound . So if that is something that fits you . consider it . I would also consider only a 356 that had an Ebony Fret Board . which IIRC 2010 was the year Gibson started using the "other" stuff . The smaller body size is very nice and is very comfortable ,which can be a good trade off if the lager sized 335 body doesn't fit you well.

I Love my 335's . If I had to choose having only 1 guitar , it would be my 2013 Blister top 335 (Memphis made) . Not that I don't Love my LP's(I do) ,but this guitar is that much better . Even my '63 335 RI would be a close 2nd. Because of the neck ... Great guitar that I seem to go for more then not ... A true everyday Player(It's neck is great for my hand) . I got used to the bigger body in a short while and now it makes no real difference to me .

Both shops make fine guitars and only testing can tell you which is right for you .

kitban12

As per title, I need help choosing between a CS356 2010 and a ES335 dot from 2000.

I've played the 335 and it handles pretty dreamy- great tones, good times.

A CS356 has come up for not too much more money with lots of sexy hardware, inlays and custom shop trimmings and i'm a bit torn.

From what I have read, the 356 isn't really a semi-hollow- at least, not in the same way, and doesn't have that mid-tone honk that the es335 supplies- on the other hand, as it is a custom shop, I presume there are some build quality benefits and a great tone regardless.

What do you think?

Choose CS356