• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Les Paul Custom swap, 74 for 92?

Zeusman

Hi all.
Im perplexed. I own a beautiful 74 Custom 20th anniversary but don’t find the slim neck comfy enough. I have the opportunity to straight swap it for a pre historic 57 reissue from 1992. Just thought I’d put this to the forum for opinions on what to do? I love everything about the 74 except the neck. The 92 I cannot fault other than it not being as old or as valuable.
thoughts gang?

Progrocker111

These early 70s LP Customs have fairly distinctive and unique feeling and tone. Allmahogany bodied Prehistoric will be very different sounding guitar. Hard choice :)

Elmore

If you swap, how will you feel two weeks later? That is your answer.

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
I'd play 'em first. Tonewise I'd ditch the '74 for MY TASTE. I've had several of those early 70s and I just can't get them to do what I like. The 90s guitar should give a more complex guitar tone and the neck will feel a bit more substantial.
Might have a maple cap at that time.

I also prefer the more vintage top carve that the pre-historic has.

Zeusman

Thanks for the input guys.
i ended up doing the swap and feel it was definitely the right thing to do. The 92 neck feels way better, is easier to play and has a much more rounded tone.