• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Early 1990's Les Paul Classic vs. Les Paul Standard Faded 2000's

gtrfinder

I'm considering one of these types of Les Pauls. Anybody have experience with both of these?
I've read some good reviews of the Standard Faded Models, but have not read much about the Classic models from the 90's.

Thanks

metropolis

There's been a few runs of the fadeds I think. A friend has one from around 2008 which is great. It's got a lovely top, sounds and plays really well, the only thing to know is it ages quite quickly which may be a good or bad thing depending on your perspective. I really wanted to get one but the second hand prices are a bit unreasonable because they now are known for being great sounding guitars.

It's worth knowing they did a limited run in 2016 of Standards based around a '58 so with Classic 57 pickups, a 50sneck and a plain top. I got one for my father and it's also a really nice guitar in quite a dark burst (whereas the earlier faded looks more like a honey burst).

Thundermtn

Play them both, but the Classic has more potential to be really great from the wood and hardware point of view

uncajoey

I played a few LPs with faded finish, and hated the non grain filled neck, the lacquer was very rough, and almost felt like the mahogany was unsanded. He early 90s Classics are excellent, but beware of the currently out of vogue skinny neck.

60'sGold

Love my 1990 Classic. Beautiful guitar. Never met a Faded that I liked. If you find a 1990-1993 Classic, jump on it.

GTxaUhZ.jpg

gtrfinder

I ended up finding a 1990 Standard with ebony finish. Has a '57-style neck near the heel that slims down to a '60's style near the nut. Sounds great to me.
Only thing it needs is a free dress. Currently considering putting Grovers on it.