• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Neck reset advice on project Junior?

RavenTooth

Now that the neck is off, what is the best way to cut the bottom of the tenon from 3 degree down to 1 or 2? Belt sander? Mitre saw?

More importantly, can I get a cheap but quality one on Amazon?

I don’t agree you can buy “cheap” but “quality” reciprocating saws on Amazon. That’s not how economics work. We should ignore kentrocks advice.

Hows the reset work going OP?

latestarter

I would be using a very accurate mini/fine rasp to take off bulk (although there isn't a lot of "bulk" in this case). Flat rule check all the time so you don't get a rounded bottom (!). Then final bit would be using a scraper...finer adjustments. I just use like a Stanley paint scraper blade but there are proper luthier ones available.

As mentioned....go in small steps. Check often.

thin sissy

clown-wave.gif
I actually laughed at that response as well! But then again I don't think I'm ever offended. I'm curious, were the two of them the same person? Otherwise I don't understand the ban :hmm

corpse

Reach out to CBRMatt on this forum I don’t think the experts are doing this freehand- you need to make a jig for it. There are woodworking shops around too in case you’d rather go that route.

corpse

There is a really fucked up pathology for people that do that sort of thing.

renderit

I know, right? Kinda like people who talk to themselves. Kinda like that.

CBRmatt600

That is quite a steep neck angle. the good news is that there is enough height at the base of the tenon to shave it to the correct angle, but you’ll only get one chance to do it right before you end up with a neck that sits too shallow.

if it were mine, I’d pull the neck, mark each side of the tenon with a line that represents the correct angle, and shave the tenon on a belt sander to the desired angle. You will be removing so little wood that I would not use any type of saw. A straight flat bar and sandpaper would work as well.