• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

NGD Gil Yaron Burst

ourmaninthenorth

Peter, the following is observational, and is not intended to be disparaging in anyway whatsoever, to either you or your choice of guitars.

I played one of these guitars last week, in a careful comparison with a couple of exceptional Gibson guitars, and an outright fake UK made 59- esque Les Paul.

I was really surprised on a number of levels, but to stay on topic I'll limit my observations to the Yaron.

The example I played was featherlight, I'd wager no more than 8lbs, Ron Ellis pickups, with a mineral streaked lemonburst top.

What I like about this guitar is that a blind man on a galloping horse could not mistake it for that which it isn't. Both audibly and feel of construction. The headstock shape is not needed to confirm it's not a Gibson - but I like the integrity of the builder that he's changed it anyway, and put his own name on it. The use of the Les Paul font is incongruous to the guitar.

The build quality is faultless, truly superb work. The top carve, where it meets the body binding reminds me more of a violin than any Les Paul I've ever played. There is a discernible concavity all the way around about 2 " from the binding, that results in a sharp edge where the two meet..it is not a mistake or poor workmanship, it's the design. I could pick one of these out of a row of Gibson's blindfold.

It's my first time on one of them - ergo I couldn't have identified this guitar if my life had depended on it. Indeed my Pal and owner of it played a trick on me by covering the identifiable headstock and told me it was a Tokai...I didn't argue with him, because I simply didn't know what it was, apart from the fact it wasn't a Gibson... now that I do know this feature, I couldn't fail to identify one.

Plugged into a vintage Blackface...I couldn't help but draw a mental comparison with a Nic Huber that I played a couple of years ago, bright, chimey, a little light of the darkish middy bark I love so much. Obviously a terrific guitar, zero question about that, but in all candour, not really my thing, of the 4 guitars under scrutiny, it was my least favourite.

But I well understand why it's definitely the thing that people will track down to put in their arsenal.

Again Peter, et al, just an observational contribution to this conversation...no balls being broken at all.

Beauty, quite rightly, is firmly in the eyes of the beholder.

:salude

ourmaninthenorth

Well it's good to see you back in men's clothes.

But only at weekends...

article-2095527-06AEAA3B000005DC-319_468x592.jpg

Pellman73

Hey man! -- thank you for the critique-- it takes a LOT to offend me... no offense taken- and you came at it very nicely

I'd only say that from what I've heard they all sound different. Who knows how you'd feel about this one?

I'd also say that I've never been lucky enough to play a real burst so I have no frame of reference.

the Gibsons I've owned have been a 2003 honeyburst les paul 50's neck, a 2003 Duane Allman Hotlanta (cool guitar), a 2015 Greg Martin CC and a 2017 Green Lemon with Braz board.

To me both of the Gils I have completely blow them away... its not even close --It just seemed to me that the Gils (and by the way mine both have Gils own pickups that he wound... perhaps that was at least one tonal difference)

to MY ears-- when I'm in the bridge I can get that Joe Walsh tone like in the opening riff to "lifes been good to me"... and the neck is Duane on Blue sky (hell I hope I'm guessing right about the use of those... thats how those things sound to me)

Anyhow its the first time I've ever played a les paul (cough- style guitar!) where it sounds like what i've heard real les pauls sounds like... but who knows what that really means.

At some point hopefully in the near future Corpse and I are gonna have a hang and he will have to weigh in on this debate!

By the way so sorry to hear about your bride (thats what they call wives here in the south) my friend. You guys will be in my thoughts!

Peter, the following is observational, and is not intended to be disparaging in anyway whatsoever, to either you or your choice of guitars.

I played one of these guitars last week, in a careful comparison with a couple of exceptional Gibson guitars, and an outright fake UK made 59- esque Les Paul.

I was really surprised on a number of levels, but to stay on topic I'll limit my observations to the Yaron.

The example I played was featherlight, I'd wager no more than 8lbs, Ron Ellis pickups, with a mineral streaked lemonburst top.

What I like about this guitar is that a blind man on a galloping horse could not mistake it for that which it isn't. Both audibly and feel of construction. The headstock shape is not needed to confirm it's not a Gibson - but I like the integrity of the builder that he's changed it anyway, and put his own name on it. The use of the Les Paul font is incongruous to the guitar.

The build quality is faultless, truly superb work. The top carve, where it meets the body binding reminds me more of a violin than any Les Paul I've ever played. There is a discernible concavity all the way around about 2 " from the binding, that results in a sharp edge where the two meet..it is not a mistake or poor workmanship, it's the design. I could pick one of these out of a row of Gibson's blindfold.

It's my first time on one of them - ergo I couldn't have identified this guitar if my life had depended on it. Indeed my Pal and owner of it played a trick on me by covering the identifiable headstock and told me it was a Tokai...I didn't argue with him, because I simply didn't know what it was, apart from the fact it wasn't a Gibson... now that I do know this feature, I couldn't fail to identify one.

Plugged into a vintage Blackface...I couldn't help but draw a mental comparison with a Nic Huber that I played a couple of years ago, bright, chimey, a little light of the darkish middy bark I love so much. Obviously a terrific guitar, zero question about that, but in all candour, not really my thing, of the 4 guitars under scrutiny, it was my least favourite.

But I well understand why it's definitely the thing that people will track down to put in their arsenal.

Again Peter, et al, just an observational contribution to this conversation...no balls being broken at all.

Beauty, quite rightly, is firmly in the eyes of the beholder.

corpse

Played, fondled, salivated on this guitar today. Right up there with 'them old ones'. It just didn't sound like a LP- it had character too
Yeah- it's all that.
Great feel, double-tones, slink- had it all except open book scroll work. It had that lighter than it looks feel you get from vintage pieces.
Thank you Peter and Matt.
Matt's studio doesn't help at all. Makes everything sound really good.

Pellman73

Played, fondled, salivated on this guitar today. Right up there with 'them old ones'. It just didn't sound like a LP- it had character too
Yeah- it's all that.
Great feel, double-tones, slink- had it all except open book scroll work. It had that lighter than it looks feel you get from vintage pieces.

Fun hang today!

11 hours of driving definitely worth the three hour hang with Corpse and Mr. Banker

Great to hear some real good players in a great room with great amps play it too... the Giggle Factor was high!

CBRmatt600

Yeah- it's all that.

The Yaron is legit. I'd take it over nearly anything offered by Gibson today. It felt more like a real Burst than any "True Historic" that I have touched.

ppgf

Yeah- it's all that.

love gil’s take on the burst. i’ve had at least 20 & they have been uniformly great guitars, while having discernible sonic characteristics that make each of them unique.

CBRmatt600

Gil’s pickups are superb as well. The Burst I played really blew me away, especially knowing that there was no CNC work involved. The fretwork, Binding, nibs, lacquer application and finish work were absolutely top notch. Far better than anything I’ve seen from Gibson for the past several years, for sure. If I had the coin burning a hole in my pocket and was choosing between a reissue/True Historic or the Yaron, there would not be a doubt as to which I would take.

I scored a set of Gil’s PAF’s that I installed in a ‘61 LP/SG that I just restored, and they also sound fantastic. He’s really nailed the PAF thing.

Pellman73

Gil’s pickups are superb as well. The Burst I played really blew me away, especially knowing that there was no CNC work involved. The fretwork, Binding, nibs, lacquer application and finish work were absolutely top notch. Far better than anything I’ve seen from Gibson for the past several years, for sure. If I had the coin burning a hole in my pocket and was choosing between a reissue/True Historic or the Yaron, there would not be a doubt as to which I would take.
I scored a set of Gil’s PAF’s that I installed in a ‘61 LP/SG that I just restored, and they also sound fantastic. He’s really nailed the PAF thing.

They found a great home!

Pellman73

love gil’s take on the burst. i’ve had at least 20 & they have been uniformly great guitars, while having discernible sonic characteristics that make each of them unique.

Matte!

I believe that would have to make you most likely one of the people in the world who has held and played the most

would you say there was a common thread?

did you notice much variation amongst them?

ppgf

Matte!

I believe that would have to make you most likely one of the people in the world who has held and played the most

would you say there was a common thread?

did you notice much variation amongst them?

the world’s largest sounding tele.

Pellman73

the world’s largest sounding tele.
'

not to bomb a thread I started but speaking of teles--

I just added a second Whitfill tele-- this one Seafoam Green to my black guard

this thing in the bridge into my Park Rock Head with a Duellist pedal (bluesbreaker side) is 1st led zeppelin album tone to a T!

sometimes I think a Tele is kind of the 'it' guitar

this one is EXTRA GREAT... ( stainless frets and this Mastery bridge that is really cool)

man I LOVE these whitfill teles.....

RocknRollShakeUp

'

not to bomb a thread I started but speaking of teles--

I just added a second Whitfill tele-- this one Seafoam Green to my black guard

this thing in the bridge into my Park Rock Head with a Duellist pedal (bluesbreaker side) is 1st led zeppelin album tone to a T!

sometimes I think a Tele is kind of the 'it' guitar

this one is EXTRA GREAT... ( stainless frets and this Mastery bridge that is really cool)

man I LOVE these whitfill teles.....

Very nice! Super awesome Teles!

It took me decades but the lightbulb went on for me regarding tele's about 5 years ago, so it took me longer than most to get myself disabused of my Tele ignorance. My tele is a sort of do it all guitar for me at this point...with my R4 also in the running maybe.

But it's funny, I spent the better part of the 90s gigging all over Hollywood with a Les Pauwl standard, a couple of Specials, and a Strat, and back then you couldn't pay me to even look at a Tele. Now I think I could live with just two Tele's, one with a hotter/darker Broadcaster bridge, with the original blend circuit, and one with a cleaner and twangier "Bakersfield" style bridge on a 3 or 4 way switch...well...and also maybe with a killer double bound single pickup Esquire just cause they are so cool. So man, I'm a big tele fan now! Sadly I only have one, and need to get the other two!

I have to aquaint myself with Whitfill!

Pellman73

Very nice! Super awesome Teles!

It took me decades but the lightbulb went on for me regarding tele's about 5 years ago, so it took me longer than most to get myself disabused of my Tele ignorance. My tele is a sort of do it all guitar for me at this point...with my R4 also in the running maybe.

But it's funny, I spent the better part of the 90s gigging all over Hollywood with a Les Pauwl standard, a couple of Specials, and a Strat, and back then you couldn't pay me to even look at a Tele. Now I think I could live with just two Tele's, one with a hotter/darker Broadcaster bridge, with the original blend circuit, and one with a cleaner and twangier "Bakersfield" style bridge on a 3 or 4 way switch...well...and also maybe with a killer double bound single pickup Esquire just cause they are so cool. So man, I'm a big tele fan now! Sadly I only have one, and need to get the other two!

I have to aquaint myself with Whitfill!

man I cannot say enough about these whitfills.... they are so good. the turquoise one might just be my fave guitar now
so resonant, so light....
neck gets you strat neck sounds
middle is kind of its own thing but great
bridge will give you zeppelin 1 tele tones in a marshall or you can make it twangy

so well balanced. beautifully made. feel GREAT in your hands

when you consider these are cheaper than fender custom shop guitars and I think much better-- (and I'd be curious to see how a nacho compares (these are much less)

man... just GET ONE!!!

note that Lance Keltner who does a lot of vids for amps and guitars (and just built this amazing amp thats like dumble type thing) seems to have his whitfill as his go to. he was at Namm this year to show his new amps and had his whitfill there

RocknRollShakeUp

man I cannot say enough about these whitfills.... they are so good. the turquoise one might just be my fave guitar now
so resonant, so light....
neck gets you strat neck sounds
middle is kind of its own thing but great
bridge will give you zeppelin 1 tele tones in a marshall or you can make it twangy

so well balanced. beautifully made. feel GREAT in your hands

when you consider these are cheaper than fender custom shop guitars and I think much better-- (and I'd be curious to see how a nacho compares (these are much less)

man... just GET ONE!!!

note that Lance Keltner who does a lot of vids for amps and guitars (and just built this amazing amp thats like dumble type thing) seems to have his whitfill as his go to. he was at Namm this year to show his new amps and had his whitfill there

Holy smokes of the Baby Buddha! Very nice...major GAS now. And man that amp ain't no slouch either. Thanks for posting.