• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

New Jimmy Page telecaster from Fender

goldTopDeluxe

I remember watching footage of LZ, doing "Dazed and confused" and "How many more times" on a BBC doco when I was a teenager. I believe the performance was for Danish TV. It was black and white footage and I thought the dragon was etched into the body, I thought it looked great. Now that I've seen it in colour - not so much. I do dig that pick guard though.

Cream Fan

I believe that the Dragon is MIM and the Mirror is made in the USA.

You're probably right, although the video about the "making of" did not specify. Also, I have to assume there will be signed Dragons and that those will be a five-figure price.

EFLOW

Man, that ash body looks great.

p5Uppqj.jpg

Collector picture , LOL

The Shifter

I think you’re right about Kay, but I’ll bet it’s from Musician magazine in April or May of 1985. I no longer own my stash of Musician magazines from the ‘80s, but I distinctly remember the phrase in the context of The Firm, when Page played the B-Bender Tele extensively.

Believe me, it's GW. The Musician Mag from 1988 doesn't get into gear specifics. Just a really cringe-worthy interview with Charles M Young asking terrible questions.

JPGW1.jpg

JPGW2.jpg

Ed Driscoll

Les Paul Forum Member
Believe me, it's GW. The Musician Mag from 1988 doesn't get into gear specifics. Just a really cringe-worthy interview with Charles M Young asking terrible questions.

JPGW1.jpg

JPGW2.jpg

We're in complete agreement on the author. He recycled the phrase from his earlier profile of Page for Musician magazine.

Last edited:

Ed A

Those magnets Underneath the bridge pickup are one hell of a major clue! I never thought the tele sounded just like a Les Paul but it sure the hell didn’t sound like a twanging tele either! And that photo of the tele and the sun dragon blows my mind. That is his original telecaster and of course we now know repainted after seeing it completely stripped again in the fender video. As a fan since 1972 I didn’t think I would ever see it again, remember nobody Has seen it in public since 1969 so to see it again tickles me pink!

jwalker

Les Paul Forum Sponsor
I have some video from NAMM about the Sundragon amp and the Tele. I got info from Fender about the magnets on the back of the bridge pickup. I also talked to the Sundragon amp maker and got to try it. I’ll post the video here once I upload it.

Ed A

I have some video from NAMM about the Sundragon amp and the Tele. I got info from Fender about the magnets on the back of the bridge pickup. I also talked to the Sundragon amp maker and got to try it. I’ll post the video here once I upload it.

Cant wait!

jwalker

Les Paul Forum Sponsor
Here is my interview with Mitch Colby about the new Jimmy Page Signature Sundragon amp at NAMM 2019. We saw the amp first day of NAMM and they did not have a Tele there to demo it. But even with humbuckers I thought it had THE Page tone. I was impressed.

Matthew and I also give our first impressions of the Fender Jimmy Page Mirrored and Dragon Telecaster. Two interesting details about the Tele bridge pickup shown in the Fender presentation video at the Fender booth are the ceramic magnets on the copper plated steel bridge plate and the fact that the pickup in Jimmy Page's original guitar that they measure, is a grey bottom Tele bridge pickup.

Bruce R

Re: New Jimmy Page Telecaster

Thanks, Jon!! I met you both at NAMM when I was at the Kay booth with Jimmy V, so it was a pleasure spending time with you both.

You really nailed everything regarding the Sundragon Amps and the Page guitars. I, too, was quite surprised that on Fender's website they only indicate the Custom Shop Mirrored Tele without the mirrors attached, but I admit I would also prefer it that way. Fender should sell gobs of them, especially the Dragon. I saw Page with The Yardbirds, and that guitar, in '66 and it changed my life!!

Mitch is a great guy and a great amp builder and I am sure these amps should do well. Did he give any indication of why Supro was not involved? Good move on his part by doing it on his own.

Cream Fan

Another interesting thing is that on the signed Dragon Teles Jimmy has changed his signature. It's very different from how he signed the Les Pauls and his photo book, for example. Wonder why?

Ed A

Here is my interview with Mitch Colby about the new Jimmy Page Signature Sundragon amp at NAMM 2019. We saw the amp first day of NAMM and they did not have a Tele there to demo it. But even with humbuckers I thought it had THE Page tone. I was impressed.

Matthew and I also give our first impressions of the Fender Jimmy Page Mirrored and Dragon Telecaster. Two interesting details about the Tele bridge pickup shown in the Fender presentation video at the Fender booth are the ceramic magnets on the copper plated steel bridge plate and the fact that the pickup in Jimmy Page's original guitar that they measure, is a grey bottom Tele bridge pickup.

Great work Jon.... thanks!

deytookerjaabs

Help me out here, from what I can tell the Mirror Tele is basically a USA made Pure Vintage '59 Reissue Tele with Jimmy's name and some mirrors in the case? IIRC, I don't remember a non-custom shop '59 reissue being made yet but that's what it looks like from a distance, if so...pretty damn cool in and of itself.

Fried okra

Jon, Great video and review. :salude