• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

New Jimmy Page telecaster from Fender

The Shifter

Black Dog to me sounds/feels like a Lester (especially the bends), classic Les Paul on the solo & the main riff/verse tracking sounds like transistor/ss distortion of some type, like mixing up line/mic levels patched into a tape machine or something, very lo-fi. Funky ****. I love how a lot of 60's/70's bands, especially Led Zeppelin though, kept experimenting all the time with guitar sounds.

:hmm:hmm

I am 100% certain that the solo in BD, whichever guitar, is going through a Leslie rotating speaker. I know that sound like I know my name. IMO though, it sounds twangy like a Tele.

The main riff does sound like an LP. That is indeed straight into the board. No guitar amp. They also slammed the front end of a blackface UREI 1176 compressor and triple-tracked it.

Anje

What a great project (and teaser), looking forward the full announcement.
And wow John, must have been a really special moment to share some time with Jimmy around that project.

I recently revisited some old Led Zep records on a good Hi-Fi system, this never gets old for me and so refreshing to take the time to listen to those guys from time to time :salude

sikoniko

I was really hoping we would get to see more of the original. Can anyone confirm if some of the video is showing the original?

The Shifter

The original got painted over by some "friends" while Page was on tour. Ruined. The neck ended up on the "Botswana Brown" B-Bender Tele. So the story goes, anyway.

fernieite

I was really hoping we would get to see more of the original. Can anyone confirm if some of the video is showing the original?

Yes, it looks like there's about a dozen photos of his stripped 1959 tele towards the beginning of the video. Apparently, they were taken in London while the CS guys were analyzing it.

Ed Driscoll

Les Paul Forum Member
The original got painted over by some "friends" while Page was on tour. Ruined. The neck ended up on the "Botswana Brown" B-Bender Tele. So the story goes, anyway.

Amazing how one journalist (I think with Musician magazine, IIRC) dubbed Page's Firm-era Tele that, and the name stuck permanently. I've always assumed the brown color was a homage to George Harrison's rosewood Tele.

4string

Fender's announcement including prices and expected ship dates.

https://www.guitarworld.com/news/namm-2019-fender-unveils-jimmy-page-signature-telecasters

Dragon graphic guitar $1399.99 Summer 2019 according to Reverb
Mirror Tele $2499.99 Spring 2019 according to Reverb

Music Zoo (probably among many) taking pre-orders.

Am I buying one? Um ... practicing the art of bad photography at the Orange County Guitar Show Saturday and will decide afterwards if ... oh, who am I kidding? TAKE MY MONEY! GO AHEAD! TAKE IT NOW! :)

Last edited:

Ed A

Yes that’s definitely his original shown in the photos at his home. Fully stripped and ready to be repainted! If you study the grain pattern from original Zeppelin and Yardbirds photos you’ll see it’s exactly the same.

The Shifter

Amazing how one journalist (I think with Musician magazine, IIRC) dubbed Page's Firm-era Tele that, and the name stuck permanently. I've always assumed the brown color was a homage to George Harrison's rosewood Tele.

Max Kay
Guitar World, October 1988

Triburst

TWO versions of the Page Telecaster:

PNePVqYFTCgXbNi5fNqLBk-650-80.jpg

AND

9qasXqnCnXVK734f8mXZRd-650-80.jpg

And to get the REAL Led Zep early album vibe:

WUmcevSBmYjn57wFSgQdfc-970-80.jpg

His new "SUNDRAGON" amp:
He finally talked about the mods made on his Supro Coronado, which was repaired and modded after it fell out of the back of his van at an early gig. If you try to do this mod on your own, remember to drive on the LEFT side of the road when you throw your Supro out.

kats

It was pointed out to me that if you watch the video you will see on the bottom of Pages "custom wound" bridge pickup, there happens to be a couple of small ceramic magnets as well. Another "cat out the bag" regarding his Tele tone?

A nice close up in the above video at 1:10

Last edited:

J.D.

Interesting indeed. If in fact this was a custom feature of the original bridge pickup used on those early Zep recordings, it would help explain why a lot of people confused its tone for the #1 LP.

Ed Driscoll

Les Paul Forum Member
Max Kay
Guitar World, October 1988

I think you’re right about Kay, but I’ll bet it’s from Musician magazine in April or May of 1985. I no longer own my stash of Musician magazines from the ‘80s, but I distinctly remember the phrase in the context of The Firm, when Page played the B-Bender Tele extensively.

Cream Fan

When I saw the prices above, I thought they must be a mistake. How could the mirrored Tele (A basic Tele with circular mirrors stuck to the body) be $1100 more than the Dragon Tele, which is the one everyone would want? Then I got an email from Music Zoo that confirmed the Dragon is $1399 and the Mirrored $2499. Makes no sense whatsoever. What's even more strange is that the photos of the mirrored Tele on Music Zoo have no mirrors on them.

Putty

When I saw the prices above, I thought they must be a mistake. How could the mirrored Tele (A basic Tele with circular mirrors stuck to the body) be $1100 more than the Dragon Tele, which is the one everyone would want? Then I got an email from Music Zoo that confirmed the Dragon is $1399 and the Mirrored $2499. Makes no sense whatsoever. What's even more strange is that the photos of the mirrored Tele on Music Zoo have no mirrors on them.

I believe that the Dragon is MIM and the Mirror is made in the USA.