• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

What instrument cable are you using?

sonar

Been using the same Neutrik and Mogami (wired my own) lead cables for over a decade with no issues.

For the pedalboard(s) I use Lava Solderless for ease and adaptability.

Also use a Shure GLX-D16 wireless system with the band.

renderit

All of the Neutrik 1/4" have broken on me. All of them. The plastic just doesn't hold up.

Switchcraft are the ones I make my cables with.

Years ago I made cables with premium wire and Switchcraft plugs. All failed in short order (a few years of use). Maybe back then the 'premium cable' was crap, I honestly don't know, but I never went back and tried it again.

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
I like Switchcraft ends on Belden or ProCo cable. I like add a twist of bailing wire to help with tugging breakage. Been using the same guitar out cable since 1981 (my "lucky cable"). Every once in a while I might resolder, or cut off an inch or two and re-attach an end.

I know you asked about factory stuff, it all fails, and most are not repairable.

BurstWurst

Small stages - Lava red coily cable (going on 8 years with no problem)
larger stages - Line6 Relay with a Radial Dragster ahead of it (Dragster makes a meaningful difference for me)
studio - mogami/Neutrik (home built)
bedroom - whatever is close at hand
pedalboard- George Ls (way too many of them)

renderit

Anything made in Montana has to be good. The water is better and the air is cleaner. They have more unicorns and fairies as well. I have been called there to battle with highsnappers though, fearsome as they are. And they do keep the uni's and fairies in check, but their occasional forays into our realm force my occasional trips.

fernieite

I've never heard of a Highsnapper. Is that what you're doing in your avatar, casting out Highsnappers? :)

Oh, about cables - I like my Lava coils for the guitar and George L's for my pedals...:hank

Last edited:

renderit

I've never heard of a Highsnapper. Is that what you're doing in your avatar, casting out Highsnappers? :)

Oh, about cables - I like my Lava coils for the guitar and George L's for my pedals...:hank

Mountain run alligators. Nasty breed. I spend a ton of time in the Rockies up in your neck o' the woods ridding them as well. They go up there when the bull shark population gets high. Then they stay for the unicorns and fairies. When those get low they turn to small peoples. Then larger... Vicious cycle. Keeps me an Elias busy... Noodling calls them in.

deytookerjaabs

I know you asked about factory stuff, it all fails, and most are not repairable.

Pretty much this IMO, must be a guitar cable thing. I've hoarded a small box of "ye olde cables" I still have from the 90's and 00's. One day I got the bright idea to "repair" them. I ripped open the ends & made sure the hot/ground were re-soldered then when going to plug the cables back in I still got no signal or just noise. Twas then I realized it was too big a job for this guy and I'm not sure I have a single cable that's a decade old which still works, even the monster ones I was gifted many years back went south.

Meanwhile, we had this 50 year old patch bay at a studio where I studied at with a big rack of equally old patch cables..never had a single problem with one of those cables that I can recall :wah though they don't get yanked around like guitar cables.

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
Take any cable that you like, or think is "good" and disect it. I mean cut that sucker apart. Look at the parts. Cut it lengthwise and really look for quality. You'll surprised at the garbage that is passed off as "premium" guitar cables. Foil shields instead of braided, really crappy wire gauge, etc.

You won't anything better than industry tested and military approved like Belden wire and switchcraft plugs.

TM1

Evidence Audio & Devine Noise curly cable. I’ve used Evidence since 2002. Never had one break or breakdown and they have been all over the world with me. Great cables and very transparent compared to a number of other “high end”cables.

folgers_is_evil

Klotz are high quality, low impedance, no noise, very flexible and very good up to 9 meters without screwing high or lows. Also have some older spectraflex (shorter length)

I like those. Discovered them through my bass player and tried the guitar ones. Discovered they endorsed Joe B afterwards.

I have the regular jacks but they also have silent plugs

Peace

Phil

Skydogfan81

I have one Van Den Hul Integration Hybrid, 1 evidence (green one), and a cheap spectraflex (i think). They have all been solid for over a decade.

metropolis

I'm fully decked out in Planet Waves cables. The reason being they are perfectly good enough for me, and their lifetime guarantee means if I ever have an issue I get a free replacement. In the 15 or so years I've been using them I've had one faulty cable and it was replaced without any quibble. I can't remember the last time I bought an actual guitar cable