• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

What instrument cable are you using?

renderit

I understand 'fiber' is all the rage now. NOBODY uses copper my kid says. They get so much fiber at least they're not full of chit!

J T

I looked at it, but figured it'd be cheaper to move house...:ha

Really now. What's more important? The cable or the ranch?

(Those look like nice cables) Might be a tough decision.

Last edited:

ourmaninthenorth

Really now. What's more important? The cable or the ranch?

(Those look like nice cables) Might be a tough decision.

Having slept on it, it'll have to be the cable.

I'll tell the Wife, probably by e-mail...

renderit

I will have to have one.
They used crushed 'sea monkees©™℞' to bond the heads to the cables before flowing them with nitride enriched unicorn sparkle®℉ for the perfect conductance!

ourmaninthenorth

I also bought one of these shorter ones....for the very close up to amp work.

tR9gb6g.jpg

It all gets very intimate...I moved suddenly and a 100lb head fell on me foot, but the cable definitely added to the clarity of the effing and blinding that ensued, so money well spent I reckon.

I think there's a design fault with these short cables. There should be a warning at least on the package..." idiots - seek advice before use "

:laugh2::laugh2:

BrandonH

I just use the tweed Fender cables. I started trusting them after a hole in the wall dive gig where a 6'5" probably 250 lb guy came up to the "stage" belligerently drunk because his wife had been dancing to our music without him. He pointed at me, and screamed "F&&K YOU." Pointed at my singer, and screamed "F&&K YOU." Pointed at my bass player, hesitated for a second (she's a girl), and screamed "YOU'RE COOL." And pointed at my drummer and screamed "F&&K YOU."

He then brought up his fists and got ready to come swinging at us, and promptly nose dived to the floor when his last shot before he came up kicked in. Landed right on my pedal setup, and cocked the tip of my Fender tweed cable from my guitar a good 45 degrees.

To this day, it's still my most reliable cable.

I'd think the notes would come out dizzy!

Speaking of dizzy, has anybody ever felt slightly dizzy from an amp's tremolo washed out in reverb? Totally asking for a friend, there's nothing wrong with me!

renderit

I also bought one of these shorter ones....for the very close up to amp work.

tR9gb6g.jpg

It all gets very intimate...I moved suddenly and a 100lb head fell on me foot, but the cable definitely added to the clarity of the effing and blinding that ensued, so money well spent I reckon.

I think there's a design fault with these short cables. There should be a warning at least on the package..." idiots - seek advice before use "

:laugh2::laugh2:

You idiot!

THAT'S A BASS CABLE!

I used to use one.

Me mates said 'Youse don't NEED to be struttin' aboot the stage and all, you're a BASSIST!".

ourmaninthenorth

You idiot!

THAT'S A BASS CABLE!

I used to use one.

Me mates said 'Youse don't NEED to be struttin' aboot the stage and all, you're a BASSIST!".

Kerplunk..the sound of the penny finally dropping...Basserage playing.

To the 4 string emporia was the cry, and don't be sparing none of them horses....

:hank

BrandonH

Nobody's impressed by bass players walking around the stage anyways. I mean, C'MON, it's ONLY four strings!!! :laugh2:

Before the bass players mob me, yes I'm kidding. I play .11s and my hands cramp up after a few songs sitting in on bass.

J.D.

Old thread I know but I think I've finally seen the light on shielded instrument cable.

I've been using what I thought were good cables for a long time. Have always heard a lot of static and hiss and just passed it off as the nature of the guitar or tube amp; mostly the preamp tubes.

Finally decided to try the George L 225 cable. Bought a bulk length at well over $2/ft and a pair of premium jacks.

Immediately while dressing the cable ends and feeling the rigidity of the cable it is apparent that this cable is different than the ones I'd been using. Very heavy shielding braid and well insulated inner signal wire.

Soldered the ends on and gave it a good A-B test against the old cables. I won't go as far as saying I hear any sort of tone difference but the static noise and hiss is quite remarkably lower.

If you are experiencing this sort of thing might be worth the premium to upgrade your cables.

WytLytnyn

I've got Moogwai between the pedals, but am going to start switching to these guys progressively. https://www.analysis-plus.com/pro-audio

They've been at the top of the premium home audio game for a long time. Apparently, they build cables for NASA. I didn't know they let the guys take their guitars into space.....

I just played a CS 335 with SD Antiquities straight into an old Soldano Reverb-o-sonic using the Pro Oval Studio and was shocked at the transparency and low floor noise. They're expensive but incredibly revealing, which can be bad or good. I definitely need to clean up up the slop in my playing.