• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Marshall amp: HUMMMMMM.. *Click.* Silence.

Bob Womack

Well, this is a first for me. I was playing along merrily today, at bedroom volume, when my twenty-year-old JTM60 went HUMMMM... Click.. and silence. I know, I know, these are known to overheat and no-one likes them but this one has been great for me. I use it mostly at the studio.

Power light still on but I shut her down immediately and let her cool. The fuse is good. The trannies look pristine, no color or leakage. No smell and I didn't let the smoke out. I opened up the tube cage and checked the original 1996 Huntsville/Petrograd Svetlana EL34s that are set horizontally at the bottom of this chassis. No carbon trace on the pins. However, one of them had overheated to the point that the envelope melted (!) and deformed inward in an inverted bubble. The silver at the crown of the tube was a little oxidized away but there was no hint of singeing on the plates. Obviously zapped. I know: should have replaced the tubes long ago but I'm used to colder biased Traynors that use up a pair of EL-34s about once a century.

So. Do I:
a) Replace the tubes and try it out to check for function? If so, is there a close replacement for the old Svets that doesn't require a bias reset?
b) Or do I simply convey it forthwith and henceforth to the local amp tech without passing GO or collecting $200?

Got any idea of the cost if there is collateral damage? I figure about $85 bench fee for biasing if I remember right, plus tubes. Obviously there would be troubleshooting as well if we've zapped anything else. Can you help me keep from wasting money?

Thanks boonches!

Bob

jbzoso2002

I would not replace the tubes without a bias, NO WAY!

As you said these run hot because of where the el34's are.

If the new tubes aren't biased and are set too hot, right back
where you started.

Jimmy

barman

You could have burnt screen grid resistors. I would have it checked by a tech, if you would like to keep it in top form.
Playing tube amps, you have to take maintenance costs into account, just like owning a car.
That's what keeps me from having a large collection of them.

Last edited:

PaulD

As per the other replies definitely get it checked. You should never change valves on a fixed bias amp without having the bias checked and adjusted if necessary, even when replacing with the same make and type the current draw can be different and need adjustment. The fact that a valve has failed indicates that the bias could be set too hot or that there could be other faults.

barman

For a replacement to your Svetlanas, you can get a NOS 1990s matched pair from Watford valves.
For a cheaper but still good quality option, a pair of JJ will do fine.

Triplet

I have a couple JTMs. Me, I would toss in a set of Chinese el34s just to see if it functions as a whole then shut 'er down (I keep a cheap set just for troubleshooting). I really hate working on mine because the board is so flimsy and the the white wiring. Anywho, might save a few quid at the tech knowing it at least powers up.

Bob Womack

Thanks, all! There is a good tech in town so I'll schlep it over there.

Bob

TM1

Most likely one of your output valves shorted/died which blew the HT fuse. 20 years is a long time on a set of valves. Also, I don't believe there's a bias adjustment on that model.. I thought the JTM60's used 5881's back in the 90's as decent EL34's were hard to find in the quantity Marshall uses.

Pole With Soul

Most likely one of your output valves shorted/died which blew the HT fuse. 20 years is a long time on a set of valves. Also, I don't believe there's a bias adjustment on that model.. I thought the JTM60's used 5881's back in the 90's as decent EL34's were hard to find in the quantity Marshall uses.
JTM 60's used EL-34's, JTM 30's used 5881's.

jbzoso2002

It has a bias pot, 10 years ago I changed a set of tubes
on one for a guy.

Jimmy

jbzoso2002

When I changed the tubes, I found these 2 burned wires.

DSC-0001.jpg

TM1

Those wires are part of the B+ circuit. I would put some shrink tubing over them, resolder them to where you removed them from, replace the HT fuse and see if it works.

Bob Womack

Interesting stuff here. Thanks! I do some electrical/electronic repair but have never really taken the time to learn tube amp diagnosis. There are only so many hours in a day, thou knowest. :)

Bob

kerryboy

I am going to think that those two wires were burned by something external to the wires....like a hot soldering iron.

That's a good observation. I think I might agree with you on that.

jbzoso2002

The power tubes are right under the burns.

But I dont remember (10 years ago ) for sure
how that got there.

I just found I still had the pic.

Jimmy