The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite

DEMO: ReWind PAF-1s, '69 Plexi, 2018 '57 Reissue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DigLqVMVu0U&t=101s

So there are a lot of great PAF replica builders as we know... Recently I worked with James at ReWind Electric... I am super impressed... great fast service and killer aging too!!!... I decided to do something Ive never done before even with real PAFs and that is to go with a high wind in the neck... We know that back in the '50s you had a 50/50 chance of having the higher wind in the neck... he is a proponent of that so I figured what the hell.... got his PAF-1 set that read 8.6K neck and 8.3K bridge... Never thought I would like a higher wind in the neck but these sound fantastic!... you would think the high wind would be muddy but its clear as a bell and has a great vocal quality to it, and mixes great with bridge... Pickups are loaded in a 2018 Goldtop '57 Reissue and played through a bone stock early '69 Plexi 100w and '68 cab with Pre-Rola G12H30 55hz Greenbacks... as always, I wish the Iphone recording wasnt so compressed, really doesnt do it justice....
    Climb down off the hilltop... Get back in the race.
    Allman Brothers Tribute Band http://www.seventurns.net/

Re: DEMO: ReWind PAF-1s, '69 Plexi, 2018 '57 Reissue

They sound killer
    Wallace.

"you used Mr Sheen on my what?"

Great pickups and great chops! Nice!
    "What's it SOUND like, baby?" - Ray Charles

Les Paul Forum Member

Wow, I am super impressed , I Loved your playing and tone and of course your King Of Loud amp- The Marshall . Bravo , I am just curious as to how much the Marshall was cranked to produce that sound and tone ? ( I am also in the Marshall family with my beloved 2555X into my 2551 AV loaded with Celestion Vintage 30's )

Quote Originally Posted by El Gringo View Post
    Wow, I am super impressed , I Loved your playing and tone and of course your King Of Loud amp- The Marshall . Bravo , I am just curious as to how much the Marshall was cranked to produce that sound and tone ? ( I am also in the Marshall family with my beloved 2555X into my 2551 AV loaded with Celestion Vintage 30's )
    Hey there. I had the marshall turned up to about seven. And I have the channels jumpered so I have the normal channel turned up to maybe about four to mix in just a little bit of thickness. I of course could’ve gotten more gain out of the amp by pushing the volume more but I really like the tone at those volume settings. I should invest in a better way to record though the iPhone just did not do it justice.
    Climb down off the hilltop... Get back in the race.
    Allman Brothers Tribute Band http://www.seventurns.net/

Awesomely fantasticalness! The vid is a "must see!". Two thumbs, four sore fingers and a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup™©®℗ in the air dude! Duane Flowers has been ranting aboot these pickups for a while, but you know Duane. For heaven's sake he puts fart cans from Hondas in his guitars instead of caps! Really! I have a set I got on this site I'll have to try...

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ed A View Post
    Hey there. I had the marshall turned up to about seven. And I have the channels jumpered so I have the normal channel turned up to maybe about four to mix in just a little bit of thickness. I of course could’ve gotten more gain out of the amp by pushing the volume more but I really like the tone at those volume settings. I should invest in a better way to record though the iPhone just did not do it justice.
    I said to myself that the volume sounded in between 5-7 and you need at least that much so a Marshall can open up and breathe . My compliments , just beautiful ! I just re listened to your clip again and heard Bluesbreaker/Cream era Clapton and some Page and a little bit of Thin Lizzy as well . You have some nice chops and feel and tone and a super left hand vibrato .

Les Paul Forum Member mistersnappy's Avatar

Yeah, that was GREAT tone! Thanks.
    "That's what I love, man, to hear that backbeat popping, that damn bass plonkin' down. Jesus God!"-Duane Allman

Ed would you say that the 8.6 neck pup sounds like a neck P90?
    The background to my question is this. I've got Custombukers in my '13 R8 and the neck pup is muddy like a lot of humbucker neck pups are in LPs but the bridge pup is very raunchy and crisp+ which I like plus the R8 is a very resonant LP more so than other Historics I've had over the years.
    However the neck pup in my '13 R6 is to die for with a marked crispness and clarity to it compared to the R8.
    If I can find that P90 sound in a humbucker it'd be great and really set my R8 apart and satisfy my craving.

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ed A View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DigLqVMVu0U&t=101s

So there are a lot of great PAF replica builders as we know... Recently I worked with James at ReWind Electric... I am super impressed... great fast service and killer aging too!!!... I decided to do something Ive never done before even with real PAFs and that is to go with a high wind in the neck... We know that back in the '50s you had a 50/50 chance of having the higher wind in the neck... he is a proponent of that so I figured what the hell.... got his PAF-1 set that read 8.6K neck and 8.3K bridge... Never thought I would like a higher wind in the neck but these sound fantastic!... you would think the high wind would be muddy but its clear as a bell and has a great vocal quality to it, and mixes great with bridge... Pickups are loaded in a 2018 Goldtop '57 Reissue and played through a bone stock early '69 Plexi 100w and '68 cab with Pre-Rola G12H30 55hz Greenbacks... as always, I wish the Iphone recording wasnt so compressed, really doesnt do it justice....
    Ed A,
    Fantastic playing showcasing the pickups but more importantly the truth that many 57-60 les Paul's have the hotter pick up in the neck..

I have a set of Duncan Antiquity PAF,s Bridge : 8.6 k neck : 7.7 k I now want to put the bridge in the neck and the neck in the bridge, to satisfy my curiosity... I know of another forum member that does this ( name escapes me)
    .. Junp in if you recognise yourself!

I really miss the character of the middle pick up selector tone that you hear Jimmy Page use, my current 8.3k bridge and 7.4k neck maybe balanced but I'm really missing the characteristic 'chewy' mid position tone I love..

Les Paul Forum Member duaneflowers's Avatar
    Behind a badass Lester somewhere in Japan

Quote Originally Posted by renderit View Post
    Awesomely fantasticalness! The vid is a "must see!". Two thumbs, four sore fingers and a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup™©®℗ in the air dude! Duane Flowers has been ranting aboot these pickups for a while, but you know Duane. For heaven's sake he puts fart cans from Hondas in his guitars instead of caps! Really! I have a set I got on this site I'll have to try...
    Oooh... another necro showcasing portant stuff I missed... Ren, puhleeeeze.... my fart cans are vintage USA Harley well known as the the most pristine farts in Buford, Wyoming!!!

As for the OP, Ed could make any pups sound great, but Rewinds consistently place in my top 3 favorite current winders. James knows what he's doing, and his contributions to the PAF Bible prove it... he took a scientific approach in understanding all the various PAF components, and how they interact, and combined that with a very musical ear to translate the science into art... and the results speak for themselves. I have 5 or 6 pairs of his pups and the most recent is his stab at a Shanks clone wound with some vintage wire that he was lucky enough to come across, which indeed has the higher output pup in the neck and it really do sound fine. Winders that can't produce a clean neck pup need not attempt this, as the higher impedance will just amplify the mud, but for those that can actually wind a clean neck pickup, the added ooomph (technical term) in the neck is really a pleasure to play.
    Tone To The Bone!
    LP=[(CC*8)+(Sig*5)+(R9*2)+R8+R7+R6+(R4*2)+(50sT*2)+Stu D+LPX]+[(EpI*19)+(EsP/Ed*6)+(ToKi*3)+(Ba*3)+(Fe/Bu*2)+(ObG)+(CMS)]

Les Paul Forum Member

Ed A. I don't have a problem with your iPhone as the recording method. A single mic puts me in the room with you, and compression by itself is not synonymous with poor audio. In the absence of comparison it's an entirely authentic representation of that guitar in that room.
    It a simple but honest method of demonstrating pickups IMHO.