• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Marshall Origin 50c combo cranked with a Les Paul

JimFog

I recently picked up one of the new Marshall Origin amps......the 50c, a 1x12 50watt combo. I'm REALLY pleased with it.

Surprised there hasn't been more talk about it here. I think some people who tried it wanted a more gain-y JCM800 type thing. This is pure old-school plexi-ish tone. You don't get gobs of overdrive by cranking the gain and choking down the master volume. Definitely need to open up both gain AND master for it to start singing. Luckily, you can tame the volume a wee bit with the High/Mid/Low power switch.But even not super-crunchy, it's got excellent plexi-ish crunchy cleans, if you want. I've gigged it about 10 times so far, and haven't been anything less than thrilled, yet.

Here's a video I did today, to test what it sounds like in low power mode, but everything dimed (except the bass, which is at 0). The boost is not on.

While it's much juicer in full-power mode, I think it holds up pretty well.

barman

Sounds Great!!! :salude
Good call keeping the bass on 0. That what I always do with Marshalls, at least the old ones (especially with a Les Paul), and the Origin seems to be voiced that way.

deytookerjaabs

I had one for a short time, I liked it up to a point. It had a nice "punch" in terms of the stock cab/speaker combination which lots of amps lack and a pretty sweet tone. Personally, I thought it was a lot higher gain than a traditional "plexi" but who knows. I've been gigging/practicing a germino club 40 for a year or so now and it will stay a good bit cleaner/louder at higher volumes which I prefer, that's with a less efficient speaker too.

So, the 50c just didn't have enough headroom for me even after using the 5751 etc. Still, cool amp.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

I agree that these are great amps, I had the 50w head for a few months but ended up selling it to help fund my 1990 JTM45.

They're simple, sound awesome and look cool. What's not to love, even the stock valves were branded Marshall which I was not expecting. Time will tell how well they stand up to daily use, seems like the build quality is pretty decent.

goldtop0

I recently picked up one of the new Marshall Origin amps......the 50c, a 1x12 50watt combo. I'm REALLY pleased with it.

Surprised there hasn't been more talk about it here. I think some people who tried it wanted a more gain-y JCM800 type thing. This is pure old-school plexi-ish tone. You don't get gobs of overdrive by cranking the gain and choking down the master volume. Definitely need to open up both gain AND master for it to start singing. Luckily, you can tame the volume a wee bit with the High/Mid/Low power switch.But even not super-crunchy, it's got excellent plexi-ish crunchy cleans, if you want. I've gigged it about 10 times so far, and haven't been anything less than thrilled, yet.

Here's a video I did today, to test what it sounds like in low power mode, but everything dimed (except the bass, which is at 0). The boost is not on.

While it's much juicer in full-power mode, I think it holds up pretty well.

Thanks for that Jim.
The power scaling switch goes 50/10/5 watt is that correct.

JimFog

Thanks for that Jim.
The power scaling switch goes 50/10/5 watt is that correct.

I heard 50/20/5.......which is what my ears hear. But I think it's mosty guessing, as they don't say in the official literature that I've seen.

The biggest jump is from Mid to Low. I couldn't gig in Low........I mostly use High, and have used Mid in a couple lower volume situations. I generally setup the amp to straddle the line between clean and crunch, depending on how hard I hit it. I never gig it as saturated as this video, unless I'm hitting it with a pedal.

K_L

Nice video and the amp does sound good! I was thinking about getting one earlier this year but alot of the reviews stated that it needs to cranked up really loud to sound it`s best [which is typical of any NMV Marshall amp]. I ended up getting Ceriatone`s 20w 'Son of Yeti' as it has alot of great features to it which the best feature being, to me, the 3 position ERA switch. Ceriatone describes this amp [as well as others that are their own creations] as a 'Hot-Rodded Plexi' which is the main position of the 3 way ERA switch [the other 2 EA positions simply add more gain making the amp more 'hot-rodded!]. It sounds really good even at low volumes which where I always play. And it does the classic Marshall thing very very well imho. They also have a 50w and a 100w 'Yeti' available as well. Really happy with it!

renderit

That sounds VERY good! Nice playing sir! Just out of curiosity does that one get the 'ghosting' as well?

JimFog

That sounds VERY good! Nice playing sir! Just out of curiosity does that one get the 'ghosting' as well?

Thanks.

I haven't noticed it, yet. They were brutal on an otherwise sweet Dr Z Route 66 I owned.