• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Jake E Lee slams Yngwie

Foggy72

Some of that was fookin funny.

Jake Lee: But no, he was just — he was a dick. And he was a great guitar player. But even then, he was really good at one little thing that he does — doing the sweeps and arpeggios and playing fast — and that's all he could do. That's one of my problems with him — it's a very narrow band of guitar playing. He just focuses on this one part. He's a shitty rhythmn player; he can't write a song worth a fuck.

Al O'Saurus I agree 10000%. Everything he plays sounds the same. It has no feel. He plays everything so fast your ears can’t enjoy the notes. Yeah he’s fast as hell, but his songs suck.

Lou Sykes ...Malmsteen can shred but it gets boring after about five minutes. Every song sounds the same.

It's called his signature sound & style. Ever hear of ACDC ?

Lou Sykes ......They're boring too.

Only ac/dc has tons of great tunes and actually have women at their shows....they win.

zacknorton

Truth hurts.

I dont know yngwie. But he’s In elite company as far as self puffery is concerned

Dave P

Jake isn't wrong, and I like Yngwie. But even I realized after the 3rd Yngwie album that he pretty much does one thing playing-wise and song-wise. Nothing wrong with that, a lot of guitar heros just kind of focus on doing their thing and don't stray too far from that.

SpencerD

And another thing!

Does he really have to put his middle initial on the albums? Yngwie J Malmsteen.

it's an unusual name bro' - drop the J - we know who you are :yah

Dave P

And another thing!

Does he really have to put his middle initial on the albums? Yngwie J Malmsteen.

it's an unusual name bro' - drop the J - we know who you are :yah

:hee:hee

Triburst

He's talented, there is no doubt.

But to me, an awful lot of that "shredding" stuff reminds me of what I think of jugglers.

I'm sure it takes an awful lot of practice, and I can appreciate you're doing it well, but after 5 minutes or so, I'm ready to move on to other entertainment.

barman

Yngwie never did it for me, so did most guitar heroes after the 70s.
I'd rather listen to someone who "cannot really play" but still moves me with his/her intent, than a virtuoso.
Cliché, I know.. but that's honnest.

P.Walker

Clearly YJM is doing something right.

It's so odd to hear YJM haters say guitar is not a contest and then compare YJM to other "more soulful" players. I mean what :rofl
Also if I were Jake E Lee, I wouldn't rip YJM for his rhythm playing but that's just me :)

Some of the digs on YJM here can be said of AC/DC as well regarding repetitious material. Then again you don't expect coca cola to suddenly brew coffee either.

It's almost comical to read criticism of YJM's musicianship here- in fact I'd rather read about his mile-high antics.

As for YJM in his prime, there wasn't one in that era who could touch him to that extent. Not my favorite either- but that's not for his lack of musicianship- no one in this day and age can really have the credentials to say that about him.

SpencerD

" You've unleashed the fuckin' fury" -- a classic drunk quote from the Swedish meatball YJM. :peace2

(Audio available...check ye olde internet for that)

renderit

I wish I had half his talent.

I'd apply it a different way.

johnnyslim

Those kind of guitar acrobatics is lost on me. Like others, it really bores me. But, Yngwie I think used to rave on his idol Ritchie Blackmore. I heard an interview with Blackmore and he slammed Yngwie. He feels his playing it "too planned out" with no adventure. He always has notes planned and never searching for a new note. Blackmore thinks the searching for other notes to play makes one a better player.

Then there is the interview with Yngwie as he discusses some of his guitars. He loves the 1971 Strat! He also pulls out a Les Paul Goldtop (wide binding in the cutaway) and claims it is "an early 60's". Stick with the '71 Strats.

Had an opportunity to see Yngwie one time but he no showed to 20,000 seat arena. ELP (Cozy Powell) played for over two hours. Seeing ELP, as good as they were, I realized how important a rock and roll guitar is to me.

Personally...I will take Jake E. Lee over Yngwie any day.

Last edited:

Elmore

Nobody can out Yngwie Yngwie.
Nobody can out Hendrix Hendrix.
Nobody can out Duane Duane.
Nobody can out Eddie Eddie.

For me, to think about it more than that is a fool’s errand.

Last edited:

Johnny Q

Jake telling us that Yngwie is arrogant isn't exactly enlightening - we knew this already. But to say he is a "crappy rhythm player" is way over the top. Or to say he only does one thing well (sweep picking) .....C'mon!

What goes around comes around I guess. These guys oftentimes slag each other. Years ago George Lynch was talking about auditioning for Ozzy and he said something to the effect that they picked Jake due to his look as "he didn't play very well."

jimmi

I would rather listen to the Ozzy albums with Jake E Lee than any of YM’s. There are “shredder” era players who can write songs and play with feel. Nuno Bettencort from Extreme comes to mind. He has great feel and his songwriting and rhythm playing is arguably better than his lead work which is very good and often not over the top.

I saw YM, Vai (who I also like), Nuno, Zack Wylde (not a fan) and another guy who I can’t remember a couple years ago and Nuno was by far the most enjoyable. It was the only time of the night when it sounded like listening to a band instead of a guy noodling to a backing track.