• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

When Did Gibson Change To 9 Gauge Strings?

ramaglia375

He went off a bit.

I agree.

Just roll with it.

I learned to.

You ain't a full member 'til you been WTF'd by Big Al at least 3 times.

It's a right of passage.

I think I collected some 10 of them back in the day before I learnt not to be butthurt by it!

When you get over it you will find no better friend or mentor...

LOL
Thanks man but no worries here, wasn't my fight. Just calling it for what is was.

Last edited:

IrishWake

C'mon! Demanding to know the why, what and when? It is just a set of strings. What's the hubbub, bud? You only use the strings that ship and can't change gauge? Wow that's the very reason?

You can change type and gauge, safely, and if needed only very minor adjustments need to be made. You do not need to only use stock, as shipped, string sets, nor are they a requirement for optimin tone, performance or playability. That isn't Gibsons call, it is yours.
It's just a set of strings.

All I can say is wow! if you dont want to answer the question just dont ...... No need for a childish attempt at flexing your keyboard muscles there are plenty of forums for that. I didnt take the OP was complaining just asking a question. Just purchased a new 2019 LP Classic and notice the strings as well and I actually like the hybrids. but will use 10s on my Studio cause I dont want to fix what aint broke.

Big Al

All I can say is wow! if you dont want to answer the question just dont ...... No need for a childish attempt at flexing your keyboard muscles there are plenty of forums for that. I didnt take the OP was complaining just asking a question. Just purchased a new 2019 LP Classic and notice the strings as well and I actually like the hybrids. but will use 10s on my Studio cause I dont want to fix what aint broke.

I think for most of us it's personal preference. I don't use the same brand or gauge string on every guitar. As to the post all he had to ask was the question, but it went into stupidville when I read I want to know the what the where the why!!

Because that is the very reason I string mine up.

If I'd heard that in person, I'd be rollin' on the floor. It's not the question, it's the utter absurdity of the reason and the oh so serious what, why when demand, I swear HEADS WILL ROLL!!

The op didn't just ask a question, the reasoning and the reaction to a factory string change was an ISSUE!! Not just a question, it earned a ball busting. Dumbest "ISSUE" ever.

Big Al

Look, I can see that this typing thing is way different than speaking. If you feel I was beating you up, I apologize, believe me that wasn't my intention. I like to poke bears and balloons but I'd not punch or hit and wanted to take the piss out of a dumb ass thing, but in an over the top way that on the page gets interpreted as beating up.

I don't want you to feel beat up, or unwelcome. You are, of course. Most are.

Even if they own Classics, (gawd, why would anyone own more than one of those things), and can't string 'em right.

I'll still bust your balls, but I'll try to be gentler, but please don't feel beat up or unwelcome.

Well that sucks!!! WTF! WTF!!! This posted but an earlier post, ball busting, DIDN'T! Now, in a few days, it will appear AFTER this post and I'm gonna be seen as an a hole. Of course!

Last edited:

IrishWake

Look, I can see that this typing thing is way different than speaking. If you feel I was beating you up, I apologize, believe me that wasn't my intention. I like to poke bears and balloons but I'd not punch or hit and wanted to take the piss out of a dumb ass thing, but in an over the top way that on the page gets interpreted as beating up.

I don't want you to feel beat up, or unwelcome. You are, of course. Most are.

Even if they own Classics, (gawd, why would anyone own more than one of those things), and can't string 'em right.

I'll still bust your balls, but I'll try to be gentler, but please don't feel beat up or unwelcome.

Well that sucks!!! WTF! WTF!!! This posted but an earlier post, ball busting, DIDN'T! Now, in a few days, it will appear AFTER this post and I'm gonna be seen as an a hole. Of course!

I certainly dont feel "beat up" I have thicker skin than that (old school Military) just would like to have a place where ideas can be shared as well as information without all the keyboard commandos coming out of the woodwork making personal attacks that they wouldn't do face to face. Its very juvenile.
as far as Classics are concerned nothing wrong with a classic especially with Gibsons comeback (mine is a 2019) but have to say my 2008 studio will play the s_it out of it.

El Gringo

When I get a new Gibson Custom R9 or R8 , it goes to my tech for my set up and I have never played it from the factory .

El Gringo

My personal gut feeling is Gibson buys supplies in bulk and they probably ran out of the one supply and then who ever did the ordering marked 9's instead of 10's or indicated for hybrids and I bet that's all it was . The other thing that I thought of when I looked at the start of this thread was why doesn't the OP or anyone else interested in this matter contact Gibson ? online or the 800 # . A question like that could have been solved so easily in 2 seconds versus starting a thread about a string gauge .

IrishWake

My personal gut feeling is Gibson buys supplies in bulk and they probably ran out of the one supply and then who ever did the ordering marked 9's instead of 10's or indicated for hybrids and I bet that's all it was . The other thing that I thought of when I looked at the start of this thread was why doesn't the OP or anyone else interested in this matter contact Gibson ? online or the 800 # . A question like that could have been solved so easily in 2 seconds versus starting a thread about a string gauge .

agreed - I always do my own setups and this one was spot on and didnt have to adjust anything!

El Gringo

Huge Tool.

I come on here to this forum for knowledge , not to judge . Big Al is one of the most knowledgeable people around and we all could learn a lot and I want all the knowledge that comes from him . I have been helped by Big Al so many times . So we all could learn a lot versus trolling about nonsense !

Big Al

I certainly dont feel "beat up" I have thicker skin than that (old school Military) just would like to have a place where ideas can be shared as well as information without all the keyboard commandos coming out of the woodwork making personal attacks that they wouldn't do face to face. Its very juvenile.
as far as Classics are concerned nothing wrong with a classic especially with Gibsons comeback (mine is a 2019) but have to say my 2008 studio will play the s_it out of it.

The Classic thing was a joke, the emoji thingy was suppose to be at the end. Lighten up I attacked your reason, and still say it's the dumbest thing I've seen. That's not a personal attack it's a normal reaction to a ridiculous level of concern and discomfort a simple factory shipped string gauge caused you. It has occured many times over the history of these guitars. That you have an issue over something so easily fixed, in fact that seemingly inability to adapt and just change the strings to whatever your preference is, because you feel you just have to use the same gauge that they ship with is pathological.

You think if you stated that nonsense in person you'd not get razzed, face to face? You'd be wrong. Why would it be so hard to change strings? Why can't you decide, on your own and feel you must only use factory gauge?

It's just guitar, it ain't religion. Juvenile? Mommy picking what clothes you wear is juvenile. Yeah, in the "Old School Military" they did too, but I haven't had to check the uniform of the day since my honourable discharge. So don't think you'd not get this reaction, face to face, you would but you'd also hear the tone. It ain't Drill Sergeant rant, it's fellow GI Jabbing. Don't even try and tell me you and your fellow military grunts didn't do the same thing, face to face, when one said something equally dumb.

You still haven't explain why this dumb ass thing is so important.

Texas Blues

The Classic thing was a joke, the emoji thingy was suppose to be at the end. Lighten up I attacked your reason, and still say it's the dumbest thing I've seen. That's not a personal attack it's a normal reaction to a ridiculous level of concern and discomfort a simple factory shipped string gauge caused you. It has occured many times over the history of these guitars. That you have an issue over something so easily fixed, in fact that seemingly inability to adapt and just change the strings to whatever your preference is, because you feel you just have to use the same gauge that they ship with is pathological.

You think if you stated that nonsense in person you'd not get razzed, face to face? You'd be wrong. Why would it be so hard to change strings? Why can't you decide, on your own and feel you must only use factory gauge?

It's just guitar, it ain't religion. Juvenile? Mommy picking what clothes you wear is juvenile. Yeah, in the "Old School Military" they did too, but I haven't had to check the uniform of the day since my honourable discharge. So don't think you'd not get this reaction, face to face, you would but you'd also hear the tone. It ain't Drill Sergeant rant, it's fellow GI Jabbing. Don't even try and tell me you and your fellow military grunts didn't do the same thing, face to face, when one said something equally dumb.

You still haven't explain why this dumb ass thing is so important.

LOMFL!!!!

I just spit out my beer.

Some of it through my left nostril.

I farted at the same time.

I think I shit my pants too.

Damn you Big Al!!!!!!!!!!!!

RocknRollShakeUp

Apropo Strings, and a bit of a non sequitur to the thread but I just feel like sharing :spabout...but I also have a question later on.

My R7 top wrapped with 10 gauge strings was giving a bit of a buzz at the bridge on the low E string and maybe a tiny bit on the A string, I think due to the decreased string break angle and resultant decrease string pressure across the saddles.

My neck relief was pretty straight at around .006-.008" and didn't particularly want to flatten it anymore, in order to raise the bridge more, so I went with a 38 A and 49 low E and problem solved.

I guess I'll have to start custom sets...I also use a 10 gauge high E, B, G and D, but go to a 38 A and 50 Low E for my Jazzmasters again to get rid of buzzing across the saddles.

Does anyone recommend a good strings company that will do custom sets?

I typically like D'Addario and I guess I could find a vendor that sells individual strings..that's an option I guess.

Big Al

I top wrap. You are right not to change the neck relief, it most likely not the issue. My favorite R9 has a very low bridge and the string angle is slight, by any measure. No buzz. So, where and why the buzz.

First, does it make that buzz through an amplifier, or directly connected to a mixer/recorder or amp sim? If not, no problem.

If so, you'll need to find the cause, and nip it. The diameter change fix may indicate improper saddle slots, the larger string may be sitting higher on the saddle notch and not as deep, or fully seated. Something's different.

It may be that the E and A saddles need the slots addressed, or if too deep, new properly slotted saddles installed. It is easy, [relativey], and inexpensive to do.

It may be something else, but that's my best guess.

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
.09" strings make the guitar feel easier to play. "more playable" "super fast neck""

Yeah, I'd want them to feel all easy in the stores too. Prolly helps sales. :hmm

au_rick

Who cares what they ship with, I put super slinky's on everything ! :hank