• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

My New Heavily Modded 50's ES-125 w/cutaway and 2 P90's (Pics and Video)

JimFog

I had a '53 ES-125 for years that my dad found and gave me. Always liked it, but found the lack of a cutaway and 2nd pickup very frustrating, and not very useful for my playing. Eventually, dad said "Sell it if you don't use it! Won't bother me a bit". So, I did.

Flash forward 20+ years to last week, and a I see a "Ratrod'ed Gibson ES-125" on Craigslist. Turns out I had a bunch of mutual friends with the guy selling it, and an amp he was interested, so we worked a deal.

What a killer guitar.

It's another 50's ES-125.......but back in the 70's, somebody hacked it up with a poorly done cutaway and bridge pickup, plus a really ugly, caramel-y fudge finish. The guy I got it from bought, and sent to a local luthier for 9 months, who redid the cutaway and binding, cleaned up a bunch of extraneous holes, refinished it black, put on a Bigsby and all-new excellent electronics, including a pair of Fralin P90's.

It's EXACTLY what I wanted my old 125 to be......except maybe the black, which is nice, but wouldn't have been my first choice.

It's gonna get a LOT of use around here, between the rockabilly, jump blues, western swing and honky-tonk bands I'm in.

Here's some pics and video.

44317441_10216065060314741_7805595369575809024_n.j  pg

JimR56

That looks and sounds great!

Ditto that. Nice job by the luthier who rescued it.

I checked out your other videos, Jim. Man, you've got some range and some chops and some taste. Kudos, sir. :salude

JimFog

Ditto that. Nice job by the luthier who rescued it.

I checked out your other videos, Jim. Man, you've got some range and some chops and some taste. Kudos, sir. :salude

Thanks. It was Howard Guitars in Magnolia, DE.

Appreciate the kind words!

mad dog

I wondered who got it. Saw the listing, was about to contact him with a trade idea when the listing disappeared. Good score Jim. That looks and sounds quite nice!
MD

JimFog

I wondered who got it. Saw the listing, was about to contact him with a trade idea when the listing disappeared. Good score Jim. That looks and sounds quite nice!
MD

I'm amazed at how many people I know that saw his ad and thought about it, but didn't pull the trigger. I'm glad I did!

BTW, you're on the Gear Page under the same name, right? We used to talk on there, especially the "West Coast Blues" thread, before I was shown the door.

El Gringo

Great rescue , and what an amazing tone and chops and super technique -Outstanding !

toneville

Who could argue a mod like this. Gibson didn't even think enough of the ES125s to serialize them back then and now it has a whole 2nd career ahead of it. Well done.