• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

NGD - modest Les Paul (boring plaintop)

Edgrim

Hello guys!

I would like to present you my new one, very basic Les Paul R8 from 2007.

I was pretty sure that only newer Les Pauls after 2013 could be a really fantastic guitars (glues, custombuckers etc.). I had and tried a lot of Gibsons produced after 2013 and most of them were incredible but when I plugged this guitar I was schocked.

She doesn't have flame, she doesn't have anything unusual but she have a fantastic sound! I am pretty sure that I can get more with different, better pickups.

What is your experience guys with pre and post 2013 Les Pauls?

0008c8a997e5a5a3.jpg

Big Al

I have always said that the glue thing is blown way outta proportion and that I know of no one that can tell the difference blindfolded. I have two 2013's and a 1999 and 2000 and all sound great. The 2013 and on models show a marked improvement in specs for a more authentic look and feel. And this is important and nice, but IMO cosmetic only. Just like the Brazillian Board thing, it is only cosmetic and no one can tell the difference tone wise. Every so called expert that said otherwise could not tell when I challenged them, and most couldn't even tell by looking. It is a correct 1950's spec that means a lot to those that need that level of authenticity to enjoy their reissue guitars and often they exaggerate or make claims about tone and playability that just don't stand up to scrutiny.

I think the Historic Reissue program started in 1993 has been a great success and has resulted in some of the best playing and sounding Les Pauls since the 50's and in many cases surpass originals. The great ones are just great and though there are many differences over the span, they tend to be cosmetic, and some like certain hardware and pickup changes do have an effect on tone, they are only best in the minds of those that like their effects best. The basic tone of the range has been fantastic with outstanding sounding examples from every year.

What a great run of guitars. Without a doubt the 2013 an up guitars, especially the True Historics and 2017 on Les Pauls upped the authenticity/looks right for a 50's, thing beyond the preceding years and are just amazing reissues from a spec point, by anybody's estimation. Especially the Braz board post 2017 Reissues. It is a pinnacle for sure, but they do not necessarily sound better or more authentic than even a first year 1993.
But you can SEE the difference and in some cases feel the difference.

Last edited:

Bruce R

Well put, big Al. You nailed it. I wouldn't think it a stretch to say there is more tone in one's fingers than any glue, neck tenon, plastic, or top carve could give. Sure, if it is important that a guitar has all these things, more power to you - you are fueling the economy and keeping quite a few people in business.

If Jack Pearson can play a Squire Strat or an Epiphone Flying V and make them sing, then I think an '07 Plaintop in the right hands could play and sound glorious.

EdGrim. That is a beautiful guitar and I am glad to hear your story. The secret is playing a bunch and keeping an open mind for the one that suits you. Enjoy it!!

The Shifter

I don't have any experience with post 2013 Historics, but I as well have a 2007 DB R8 and it is the Les Paul that I play the most out of all the ones I have. It's been everywhere with me and it's a beautiful sounding beast. Even more so once I put some OX4's in it(thanks, Mark!).
02.jpg

Edgrim

Thanks for your feedback! I have to check it with another pickups. It's true that newer one has the more autenthic look and feeling but sound is still lottery.

deytookerjaabs

Congrats, you folks sure have some nice looking Les Pauls, plain top tobacco is one of my favorite looks too.

BJB63

I've owned somewhere around 5 or 6 r7s, r8s, r9s from years 2003-2014. I am a player. I play full time live, studio work, ect... of all the re issues ive owned my 2 favorites are actually a 2003 Brazilian R7 and a 2008 R8. I no longer own any of the new ones. I kept the guitars that sounded better, felt better and bonded with. the glue made 0% of a difference. here is a video of my band live i am using my 03 R7. tell me you can hear a difference in the glue (ps this guitar has the stock pickups,caps and pots in it) ... i would rather over analyze other things in life than the glue my guitar is made with....You got a nice guitar play the hell out of it when you bond with it you wont care if gorilla glue is holding it together. :dude:

Bruce R

Sounds fantastic, Ben! For a while I thought I could hear some of the wrong glue in the neck joint, but I think it just could've been my margarita.

sws1

Do I think hide glue makes a difference? Yes
Is it audible? I’ll never know.
Can I prove it? Not unless I can tear apart a guitar and rebuild it with hide glue in the 5 secs it takes me to forget what a guitar sounds like.

Buy a guitar for the sum of its parts when you play it.

Then go practice more.

Nice guitar BTW

Last edited:

1jamman

HNGD ,(Real) Plain tops .... can be great .... Nice score, DB is 1 of my favorite stains .....

That's the way to buy a guitar ........ :salude

The next 1's can be for looks .....:hee