• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

About to pull the pot trigger, what do you think?

DistortedDeluxe

Hey! Planning to order new pots for my lester today. I'm torn between the Bare Knuckle 550k long shaft pots and the PEC pots and plan to get two of each and using the ones I like more in the volume and the others in the tone position. I was looking at VIPots but they're out til January but I'm currently down a pot so thinkin' I'll just go this route and get the job done.

Also, sonically, what's your favorite vintage style cap without busting the bank for a bee replica. Might go for luxes in the future but for now just aomething thatll sound accurate will suffice

What're your guys thoughts on this?

Thanks!

TM1

Welcome to the LP Forum! I would get the VIP pots! They are the closest to the original Centralab’s Gibson used the 50’s to mid Sixties. I have them in a few guitars and they work great!

DistortedDeluxe

Welcome to the LP Forum! I would get the VIP pots! They are the closest to the original Centralab’s Gibson used the 50’s to mid Sixties. I have them in a few guitars and they work great!

That's the general concences from what I've looked at. I think I'll look into them when they're back in stock. Have you had any experience with either of the other two I've mentioned?

Thanks for the input, and thanks for the welcoming! Glad to be on board at last!

duaneflowers

I didn't know Bare Knuckle was still making the 550Ks... they are really nice and I prefer them over the VIPots. I have several sets of those and several sets of PECs and you really can't go wrong with either. I find that pots need to take pups into account though... the 550s are brighter and make less bright/articulate pups more PAFfy. The PECs I have are used with extremely PAFlike (old wire/old magnet) pups where they really shine. I think your idea of trying 2 of each in both positions is a sound one... do let us know how it turns out. :salude

DistortedDeluxe

Where are you? I might be able to help.

I'm in Newfoundland, Canada :)

Thanks for the input guys. I think i'll go with the PEC's and BareKnuckle 550k's for now. If either leave something to be desired I'll try out the VIP's once they're back in stock.

So begins the cap hunt. Using 047s now (dark, I know). Im okay with it in the bridge and often roll my tone way down but its way too woofy on the neck, not overly usable lower then five or six, just mud.

duaneflowers

I'm in Newfoundland, Canada :)

Thanks for the input guys. I think i'll go with the PEC's and BareKnuckle 550k's for now. If either leave something to be desired I'll try out the VIP's once they're back in stock.

So begins the cap hunt. Using 047s now (dark, I know). Im okay with it in the bridge and often roll my tone way down but its way too woofy on the neck, not overly usable lower then five or six, just mud.

My caps of choice are a NOS Russian K40Y-9 .022uf/.015uf set... still plenty cheap and readily available on eBay... :salude

DistortedDeluxe

My caps of choice are a NOS Russian K40Y-9 .022uf/.015uf set... still plenty cheap and readily available on eBay... :salude

Ordered in a few .033uf for the bridge and some .015k's to try on the neck. Site I was on was sold out of any .022k so I'll look again if I end up finding either too bright or dark. Should probably start working on soldering skills a bit.

How would I go about testing this aall out with alligator clips once the parts arrive, and if I decide to take out the plate how would I go about wiring it up as a harness? Don't wanna goof that up and zap myself hahaha