• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Is This Gibson Les Paul Studio Fake?

airlexds

Hello guys, I just bought my first Les Paul (!!!). It is supposed to be a Gibson Les Paul Studio Alpine White 2013 Model. I bought it used online and now I’m wondering if you guys can help in telling me if it’s the real deal or if it’s fake. Thanks. ADA060D253-C725-43A4-A7EE-4ABD40CE0BD6.jpgC3095E71-DCDE-4844-9D09-131BC1544551.jpg4E23FF84-B855-489E-BE62-28E29B1BE916.jpgC6109988-255D-4922-9C2C-B3D7437B45EF.jpgE885CB0A-66BB-410F-8FAF-5A7524D97FDD.jpg

What makes you think it’s fake?

Typically what you might see on a fake are no name pickups..,.have you checked....weird truss rod....make sure you take a look and see if a Gibson tool fits....the bridge is not in right position usually too far back....cheap tuners.....shape of head stock is off....shape of body is off... crooked logo....wrong bridge...painted cavity. How does it feel in your hands versus a known authentic LP studio? How does it play and sound? Is the neck straight.

You can take pictures and ask Gibson Customer Service to take a look and authenticate the SN. I’ve done that on a few occasions and they responded in a couple of days.

I can’t really tell by your pictures as they don’t load right on my iPhone. Is it a lefty? The Chibson guitars are becoming harder to identify.

Your best path is to have a tech look at it or contact Gibson. They are very concerned about fakes and surprisingly will give you a straight answer.

Toecutter

A photo of the truss rod nut and the control cavity are generally an easy way to tell if it's a Gibson.

edselman

It looks like the real thing to me. See how easy that was. No need for extraneous words.

You can’t tell by the pictures he sent. I’m curious why he thinks it might be a fake. I assume something is going on.

barman

The only thing that's odd to me is that the screws for pickup height adjustment are typically flat headed on Gibsons, here they are Philips headed like on Epiphones and other Asian guitars.

edselman

The only thing that's odd to me is that the screws for pickup height adjustment are typically flat headed on Gibsons, here they are Philips headed like on Epiphones and other Asian guitars.
I think they are slotted round heads and what you are seeing are reflections.

barman

Look at Gibson's own webpage for their pickups. Philips type round head machine screws.

pickups_57-Classic-Plus.png

http://www.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle/Features/en-us/tone-hunting-0309-2011.aspx

It must have changed at some point since the 2000s. Mine (2002 Les Paul Standard) has flat head screws, so did my 90s les Pauls. All the Epiphone I've had over the years were philips headed.

Big Al

I', wonderin' why he needs to ask? It seems like every time someone buys a Gibson they have to post and ask if it's real. WTF! If you don't know, why buy? What is the problem, or is it just some kind of thing now to post pics and ask if it's real?

Is there a compelling reason to ask? What's the dilemma? Or is it internet jitters? I don't get these threads other than it seems some people need reassurances after the fact. I don't see anything that would make me ask and wonder what the conundrum is?

airlexds

You can’t tell by the pictures he sent. I’m curious why he thinks it might be a fake. I assume something is going on.
I don't know too much about LP guitars and I bought it off the internet, so I was a bit unsure. I just needed a little help since this looks like a forum with very LP-knowledgeable folks. From the responses, it looks like there's nothing to worry about it.

Thank you, guys!