• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Marshall DSL40CR

MDent77

I picked up a Marshall DSL40CR combo this week. This little guy packs a nice punch. I did swap out the Celestion V-Type Speaker with a Celestion Vintage 30. Yet, installing the Celestion V-Type in a 4/12 cab.

I've mainly been playing direct with my Eleven rack (for a few years) so it's sweet to have some air pushed from a nice sounding amp!

Anyone else own this amp?

Andrew

I would love to own one of these amps. They sound great. I've never had a marshall. (well a tube marshall anyway). They definitely fixed the voicing with the new 2018 models. Maybe by 2019 they will have usable reverb:hee.

Why did you swap out the speaker? I always thought the V type was a V30 with less pronounce mids. Anyway, great amp. You should post some clips!

Midnight Blues

YEAH!

Congrats and HNMAD!
applause.gif
rock.gif
dude.gif
headbanger.gif

MDent77

The Amp really delivers a tone I love. I appreciate the multiple speaker outs - 16ohms, 8ohms or 4 ohms is nice for different options for external cabs. I've yet to need an overdrive/distortion pedal but will breakout my old 80's Rat for some different colors.

Hopefully you guys pick one up.

MDent77

I did connect my pedalboard and it sounds good with the clean channel.

pedals2.jpg

pedals.jpg

I'll try and record some tone samples next week.

(I can't wait until the Marshall 6 button pedal is available)

Last edited:

grimlyflick

You could put the Spark Boost and Flashback in the loop for a nice clean boost and delays and use the gain from the amp.

I used to do this with my old DSL50.
:salude

MDent77

You could put the Spark Boost and Flashback in the loop for a nice clean boost and delays and use the gain from the amp.

I used to do this with my old DSL50.
:salude

I do have the Flashback in the FX Loop. I never tried a boost in the Loop. I'll have to experiment.

Thanks.

MarkW

I just purchased this amp (DSL40CR) a few months ago. I've gigged with it several times and I am EXTREMELY happy with it.

I, too, had swapped out the Celestion V-Type 16ohm speaker with a Celestion Vintage 30.
BUT - my Vintage 30 is 8ohm.

The reason I did that is because I have a 2x12 external closed back cabinet that I use with the Combo.
My 2x12 is loaded with 16ohm Vintage 30's (8ohm total load) and I absolutely love that cabinet!

What I do is this:
-I move the 1/4" jack for the internal speaker from the 1 x 16ohm and plug it into one of the jacks that are labeled 1 x 8 ohm|2 x 16ohm when just using the combo alone.

-When I use the external cabinet, I move the 1/4" jack for the internal speaker to one of the 1 x 4 ohm|2 x 8 ohm jacks and plug my 2x12 8 ohm cabinet into the other.

That allows me the internal 8 ohm speaker AND the external 2x12 8 ohm cabinet to run simultaneously.

KILLER.

Cielofanders

Of course it’s only a combo amp but you could also plug it into a 4x12 speaker cabinet and I can just imagine how loud it would be then.