• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

What are the Differences Between A 2005 And 2018 Les Paul Custom Shop ?

samsdad

I would like to know the Differences Between 2005 Les Paul Standard Custom Shops
And 2018 Les Paul Standard Custom Shops I have looked around For Information but
I Cant seem to find anything Explaining Changes and which Years are more accurate
to the Original 1958-1960 models and how these changes affect the desirability and prices of
The Years Between 2005-2018
Any help would be great Thankyou

Progrocker111

Hide glue on new ones, no truss rod condom, more historically correct hardware and overall specs and new Custombuckers vs Burstbuckers on older ones.

C-4

Now the section where the pickups are mounted is flatter as were the original LP's.
The dishing to the top is more correct, and more pronounced now.
The neck carve is more accurate.
The pickups are different now. The plastic is closer, if not exactly as the originals were.
The 6/6 nylon nut now is what the originals had.

samsdad

Now the section where the pickups are mounted is flatter as were the original LP's.
The dishing to the top is more correct, and more pronounced now.
The neck carve is more accurate.
The pickups are different now. The plastic is closer, if not exactly as the originals were.
The 6/6 nylon nut now is what the originals had.

I see OK
So for example if you took a 2005 Jimmy Page #1 and a 2010 Beano Les Pul Standards
they have the older specifications? In your summary are The 2018 models Like True Historics?
Are they better sounding and playing Guitars than The 2005 And 2010 Models?
And What Year did the Changes Start going toward a more accurate Copy of the Originals
Are the 2018 Models the best and most accurate replicas so far of the Original 1958-1960 models
It seems confusing because every year it seems they state that the current model is the closest to the originals
It seems to change yearly am i wrong in this thinking?

asapmaz

The cutaway is also slightly deeper on the 2018's, closer to vintage spec. The plastic colors are closer to vintage spec. The tailpiece studs and bushings are longer.
Basically, from a features standpoint, yes, 2018's are the most vintage accurate to date.
But, does that make them better instruments? No way, no how. All the one's I've owned and played have been consistently good but I still say judge every instrument on its own merits.
My #1 is an old 1997 R8. :)

Fan of LP

So for example if you took a 2005 Jimmy Page #1 and a 2010 Beano Les Pul Standards
they have the older specifications? In your summary are The 2018 models Like True Historics?
Yes. But #1 and Beano are still more desirable (at least from a collector perspective) and therefore more expensive.

Are they better sounding and playing Guitars than The 2005 And 2010 Models?
Each guitar is unique. It's possible that there are Epiphone Les Paul guitars out there that sound and play better than a Custom Shop Les Paul. At least in someone's opinion. You're the judge here, so even though you could find some guidelines by looking at specs a guitar will sound and play good regardless of the year it was built.

And What Year did the Changes Start going toward a more accurate Copy of the Originals
Generally, at least on this forum, people tend to agree that 2013-2014 was a pivoting time for the Custom Shop in terms of accuracy.

Are the 2018 Models the best and most accurate replicas so far of the Original 1958-1960 models
According to Gibson, yes. But, in my opinion, the difference between True Historic (2015-2017), 2017, and 2018 is minimal (with the balance inclined in favor of BRW). There are desired "features" in each year that the next year might or might not have.

It seems confusing because every year it seems they state that the current model is the closest to the originals
It seems to change yearly am i wrong in this thinking?
No, you're correct. It's a business strategy. And keeps us all entertained.

samsdad

Yes. But #1 and Beano are still more desirable (at least from a collector perspective) and therefore more expensive.

Each guitar is unique. It's possible that there are Epiphone Les Paul guitars out there that sound and play better than a Custom Shop Les Paul. At least in someone's opinion. You're the judge here, so even though you could find some guidelines by looking at specs a guitar will sound and play good regardless of the year it was built.

Generally, at least on this forum, people tend to agree that 2013-2014 was a pivoting time for the Custom Shop in terms of accuracy.

According to Gibson, yes. But, in my opinion, the difference between True Historic (2015-2017), 2017, and 2018 is minimal (with the balance inclined in favor of BRW). There are desired "features" in each year that the next year might or might not have.

If i understand you correctly 2013-2014 models Forward Are More Technically Accurate to the originals
But that does not necessarily affect the sound or playability?
But the Jimmy Page #1 And Beano bring More Money Because of the name associated with it
even though they are not as accurate as the 2013 - 2014 models and on to 2018 but The BRW models Bring the same Money
as the older celebrity VOS Models This i don't understand if you purchased A BRW Model Tom Murphy Aged And Painted
There the same price range as the older celebrity VOS models without the Correct features of today
I guess when they built them 10-15 years ago they must have been at the top of the Line
and todays models have surpassed that level and pushed forward and are more refined is that correct?
So why buy the older model if there not correct are you buying the Name behind the Build of it?

Fan of LP

If i understand you correctly 2013-2014 models Forward Are More Technically Accurate to the originals
But that does not necessarily affect the sound or playability?
That's very debatable. Some people would argue that hide glue makes the instrument sound better. Others will argue that wood or glue don't matter. Bottom line, in my opinion, is that some instruments sound good (to me), others sound ok, and others sound bad, regardless of the date in which they were built (except Fridays. Instruments built on a Friday are bad :p). Heck, some people might tell you that some reissues sound better (to their ears) than some originals. Again, each instrument is unique.

But the Jimmy Page #1 And Beano bring More Money Because of the name associated with it
even though they are not as accurate as the 2013 - 2014 models and on to 2018 but The BRW models Bring the same Money
as the older celebrity VOS Models This i don't understand if you purchased A BRW Model Tom Murphy Aged And Painted
There the same price range as the older celebrity VOS models without the Correct features of today
I guess when they built them 10-15 years ago they must have been at the top of the Line
and todays models have surpassed that level and pushed forward and are more refined is that correct?
So why buy the older model if there not correct are you buying the Name behind the Build of it?
Well, #1 and Beano (just to name a couple) are basically collectable items. Most people buy them just to display them, or maybe play them from time to time at home, etc. They keep them in pristine condition, they keep all the case candy, box, receipt, etc., because they have a high value as a collectible item. Until they don't, of course. These guitars have been out of production for years, so the only way to get one is to buy used. People noticed that, so they demand higher prices for these instruments.

One could argue that TM painted/aged guitars are also collectible items (sadly, the man won't live forever). But today they are not out of production, so you can call one of our sponsors and get one very easily. BRW had been out of production since 2003 (or so), so when they came back in 2017 they were expensive. The general belief is that there's a limited quantity of them, so that kind of makes them collectible (except Gibson had said before that they would never use BRW again, and here we are).

So, at the end of the day, you have to ask yourself: am I a collector, or am I player? Am I both? If you're collector, go look for something that you would be happy to own/collect (even if the price went down to zero overnight). If you're a player, go and find a Les Paul that makes you happy when you play it, and don't worry too much about the other stuff. If you're somewhere in between (like many of us on this forum), then go and find a Les Paul that you can be very nerdy about, but also enjoy and are not afraid of playing. Just my 2c.

El Gringo

I love how you used the word entertained as an adjective .Myself I would probably used the word addicted .To take that thought and word a step further I am so addicted that I do not want to buy any other guitar other than Gibson Les Paul's .Last night I was talking to a family member and I told her that my goal as long as I draw breath is to buy as many Gibson Les Paul's (I have 4 and counting )

samsdad

I love how you used the word entertained as an adjective .Myself I would probably used the word addicted .To take that thought and word a step further I am so addicted that I do not want to buy any other guitar other than Gibson Les Paul's .Last night I was talking to a family member and I told her that my goal as long as I draw breath is to buy as many Gibson Les Paul's (I have 4 and counting )

Thanks Everybody on all your Help
I am understanding this now
And am more Familiar with older
Vintage Guitars the the Reissues
Which Can be confusing with all the models
That Come and Go and the many changes yearly
that come and go for me it is a learning experience
and it seems there is a lot to know in the progression
of the Custom Shop historic line over the last 20 Plus Years
I can Remember When Vintage world Was Selling them
In the Late 90's but never paid much attention to them at that time

vintage58

The important thing to remember with reissues is that it's always a good idea to shell out $5K to $6K on a brand-new current-year one, so that you can be sure to snag the twenty-dollars' worth of plastic upgrades uniquely associated with the current year, which cannot be found on any models from previous years. Then, since you can sell the same guitar anytime a year later for approximately $2,800, all you'll need to come up with to purchase the *following* year's reissue — i.e., to stay current with whichever shade of plastic the Custom Shop decides to use then — is a paltry $2,500, give or take. It's a win-win.... for Gibson. :salude

rockinlespaul

Not much to add that everyone else already hasn't.

I personally would take the wood from 05 over a new one, but most would prefer the newer ones with all the newer updates.

Fan of LP

Yeah, I think I'm kind of addicted, too :p. Wife tried to make me get other guitars for "variety". And sure, I got a Tele, a Strat, a Firebird, an acoustic, even a bass, etc. But the only guitars that really get played are the Les Pauls, heh.

Bruce R

The important thing to remember with reissues is that it's always a good idea to shell out $5K to $6K on a brand-new current-year one, so that you can be sure to snag the twenty-dollars' worth of plastic upgrades uniquely associated with the current year, which cannot be found on any models from previous years. Then, since you can sell the same guitar anytime a year later for approximately $2,800, all you'll need to come up with to purchase the *following* year's reissue — i.e., to stay current with whichever shade of plastic the Custom Shop decides to use then — is a paltry $2,500, give or take. It's a win-win.... for Gibson. :salude

SPOT ON!!

Victory Pete

I have been watching the production of Reissues for the last 20 years with skepticism. I have many Cork Sniffing friends who have bought them, over and over. I always thought my 2 USA LPs blew them away. Now that I am older with more disposable income I recently disposed of quite a chunk of cash on a 2018 R0. It blows me away now, very loud acoustically and very responsive through an amp. I am glad I finally pulled the trigger.

1jamman

Lots of differences between the years you're wanting to know about . BUT the (IMO) only thing that matters in the long run , is how it feels and plays for you . Year makes no difference for that . imo . Once you find THAT 1 guitar . you'll know it .
Keep trying until you do .

You could always Mod a guitar to suite you .... Seeing the possibilities guitar has ,is (imo) important factor to consider before buying .....

With all the "upgrades " Gibson has done for the LP line over the last 7-8 years . IMO The best LP I have is still a 2003 R0 ... So , imo It's not the upgrades , but the sum of everything about that 1 guitar ....

Yup ,the upgrades are very nice and I like the LP's I have that have them (a lot) , But I won't be selling the 2003 ...ever .

Any LP after 2009 , is worth looking at , imo ....

renderit

Unicorn Bile©™. It was 'all the rage' in 2005. What a bunch of doofs! Of course now we know Unicorn Bile©™ has no tonal properties, only magic which makes you undeniable to the opposite sex. Nothing to do with the music. So in 2008ish they switched to smoking the top woods in Dragon Farts℗℞ℳ℃. Now THAT made a musical difference! Wow! I can still remember the first time I scorched off a few licks on one of those babies! Damn. Course the dragons all died in 2017. The rest of the canned farts was used in early 2018. You might check with Gibson (if anyone still answers the phone) to get the serial number cutoff. They apparently won't take MY calls anymore...