• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Korina Lap Fever

akstrat61

I had a few of these over the years and eventually sold them all. I stumbled on this '58 a year or so ago and couldn't help myself. :dude: I had never seen one with dots or the Custom Deluxe model. Something about these Korina laps and knowing they were cut from the same slabs used on the V's and Expolorers back in the day. :hank

Not sure if they were just left over pieces from the guitars or they actually cut them? You can actually smell the Mojo!:jim:salude:jim

Either way, they are fun pieces to collect and play! How about a show of those of you who own vintage Laps??:hmm

[URL=http://s2.photobucket.com/user/akstrat61/media/a87111f6-6c51-4f24-8389-11d4de4c16a9_zpssjxzorex.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s2.photobucket.com/user/akstrat61/media/618065c8-5118-443b-a4d1-c107166e9d2e_zpsplrwgvff.jpg.html][/URL]

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Here's my 58 Skylark:

DSCN3752.JPG

DSCN3753.JPG

DSCN3754.JPG

:salude

akstrat61

Tom, any idea where the "Custom Deluxe" designation came from? Aside from the dots, rather than the numbered frets, not much else different on our 58's?:##

Wonder why they made another model? Any idea how may Customs Deluxes where made?:hmm Or what years they were offered? Maybe a certain collector friend will chime in, he owns a number of these cool laps.:salude

Here's a pict of the '58 catalog and no mention of a Custom Deluxe?
http://www.vintageguitarandbass.com/graphics/gib58p25.jpg

Last edited:

akstrat61

This thread got me looking into the Custom Deluxe a bit more. Here is a good read. Looks like only about 45 of the Custom Deluxe Laps were made in '58, maybe a few more '59-''61, totals not known, maybe 90 total? Still not sure why they were made or why no mention in sales literature (that I've seen). I guess the felt on the back of these is different as well? Now I need to take the controls out of mine and look for the stenciling! Others of you found names??:hank

https://books.google.com/books?id=P...nepage&q=Gibson Skylark Custom Deluxe&f=false

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
My guess is that they were made because of some issue with the fretboards.
Maybe they ran out of the standard fretboard?
Maybe they had too many dot fretboards left over?

BTW: The Korina Skylark is still shown in the 1966 catalog, with the fancier fretboard.

TM1

I have 3-BR-9's. Although it doesn't say what the wood is, I'm betting they were Korina. Mine were 1947, 1948 & 1950. The bottom ends always gets set on the ground and the beige paint gets rubbed off. They have P-90 type pickups.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
I have 3-BR-9's. Although it doesn't say what the wood is, I'm betting they were Korina. Mine were 1947, 1948 & 1950. The bottom ends always gets set on the ground and the beige paint gets rubbed off. They have P-90 type pickups.

Gibson only called it hardwood [sometimes seasoned hardwood] which makes me think they could use any available wood scraps large enough.
Seems odd they used Korina that early [1947, 48 & 50] but it certainly could be. :)

pinefd

It's not a korina, but here's my vintage Gibson lap steel...a '57 Ultratone in excellent condition:

full

full

full

Frank

Strings Jr.

It's not a korina, but here's my vintage Gibson lap steel...a '57 Ultratone in excellent condition:

full

Frank

That's awesome!!

Just out of curiosity, what do the three controls do with only one pickup?

pinefd

That's awesome!!

Just out of curiosity, what do the three controls do with only one pickup?

Sorry for the delayed response. Great question! To tell the truth, I have absolutely no idea...I don't play lap steels, myself, and have never even plugged it in. I bought it because it shares a few key parts/components with the Les Paul, although I plan on leaving it mostly intact.

Frank