• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Gibson attempting Back-to-Basics for their 2019 lineup

harrykane140693

When I started playing guitar in 2004, I really wanted a Gibson. they were amazing to me, but I was 11 and that was way out of the question. I eventually got an Epiphone Les Paul and it honestly played like a dream. when I was about to go to college I got my first big boy guitar, and it was a Fender Road Worn Tele (which I play every day to this day) for $700 (they had it on sale from $900 at my local place, Town Center Music). I had a part time job throughout college and got paid to play at churches, but Gibsons were still out of the question bc of price (I really wanted a 2012 SG Standard, l like the bigger pickguard and was only like $1200). I got myself a Reverend Flatroc, a guitar so player friendly and pre-upgraded that it was the only guitar I've never modified. It was $800.

A few years ago, I had money so that if I wanted a Gibson I could get one. But they were full of gimmicky garbage and the build quality was far worse than the asian built equivalents. I'm glad to see that they ditched the robo-tuners, bronze nut, zero fret, and lowered the prices a bit. If they improved their build quality (sharp frets, sloppy paint, poor factory setups) then I may actually buy my first Gibson.

I know so many players in my area (from playing and working at music venues in and around Atlanta, which has quite the scene) and if they're relatively young (I'm 24, so post HS to early 30s) then they don't play Gibsons. by the time we could afford them they were gimmicky garbage that was 2 or 3 times the price of other excellent road and studio-worthy instruments.

I really hope they're back on track with their quality. I may buy myself an SG (or that LP Jr) if that's the case. If not, they're soon to be a relic bc the future generations of guitar heros won't be playing them and they aren't worth the price tag if you just want a good feeling instrument.

El Gringo

May I humbly suggest going to a local music shop that is an authorized Gibson dealer and trying out some Gibson Les Paul's . I would suggest trying the Gibson Les Paul Traditional model and if the Have Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul's to also try them out as well and just get a feel for them and I think you will be amazed at how they feel and sound and lastly PLAY . Also , there are always plenty of used Gibson's from the USA line as well as the Gibson Custom Shop . Try some out and you just might want one !

deytookerjaabs

Huh, you're worried about perfect paint and laid down $700 on a road worn tele? Eh, geez man, some folks will never be satisfied.

Anyways, if you kept your head above water there have been smoking deals on some fantastic Gibsons over the past few years, especially if you wait until the end of the year. 2014 Midtown Customs in 2015 were going for $900 on clearance, I got a wonderful 2016 Firebird for $900 towards the end of 2016, those "awful gimmicky" robo tuner equipped 2015 juniors and specials were blown out by sam ash last year for $400-$500...for that price they'd even change the tuners in house! SG's are usually pretty easy to find sales on too. Don't even get started on the epic CME Memphis Blowouts...

I'm sorry you played a guitar with sharp fret ends but that happens to Fenders too yet you'd not have that issue with bound neck Gibsons. As for "quality" I'd say, though there are issues, the whole ordeal is largely overblown online by blowhards with lots of free time as I always scope out new Gibsons when shopping around in new cities many times a year yet rarely see these mythical racks of defective instruments.

Ken Fortunato

Administrator
Staff member
ubn01qUh.jpg

Can't read the font color.

Fixed it... :salude

grimlyflick

I’ve bought two Les Pauls in recent years, a 2013 Sig T and a 2016 Standard. Both are fine instruments with no gimmicks and I got them on great deals too (the Standard was reduced by £700).

Sorry, but I fail to see how just because of the controversial 2015 models you’re about to condemn the future of a company, despite it’s outside financial interests, to history as a relic.

My 2016 is probably one of the best Les Pauls I’ve played.
:salude

When I started playing guitar in 2004, I really wanted a Gibson. they were amazing to me, but I was 11 and that was way out of the question. I eventually got an Epiphone Les Paul and it honestly played like a dream. when I was about to go to college I got my first big boy guitar, and it was a Fender Road Worn Tele (which I play every day to this day) for $700 (they had it on sale from $900 at my local place, Town Center Music). I had a part time job throughout college and got paid to play at churches, but Gibsons were still out of the question bc of price (I really wanted a 2012 SG Standard, l like the bigger pickguard and was only like $1200). I got myself a Reverend Flatroc, a guitar so player friendly and pre-upgraded that it was the only guitar I've never modified. It was $800.

A few years ago, I had money so that if I wanted a Gibson I could get one. But they were full of gimmicky garbage and the build quality was far worse than the asian built equivalents. I'm glad to see that they ditched the robo-tuners, bronze nut, zero fret, and lowered the prices a bit. If they improved their build quality (sharp frets, sloppy paint, poor factory setups) then I may actually buy my first Gibson.

I know so many players in my area (from playing and working at music venues in and around Atlanta, which has quite the scene) and if they're relatively young (I'm 24, so post HS to early 30s) then they don't play Gibsons. by the time we could afford them they were gimmicky garbage that was 2 or 3 times the price of other excellent road and studio-worthy instruments.

I really hope they're back on track with their quality. I may buy myself an SG (or that LP Jr) if that's the case. If not, they're soon to be a relic bc the future generations of guitar heros won't be playing them and they aren't worth the price tag if you just want a good feeling instrument.

This is more “I can’t afford a Gibson” than anything else. I have 7 Gibson’s in my collection. A 1956 LPJR, 2000 LP STD DC, 2013 LP STD, 2013 Custom Shop 58 reisssue, two Collectors Choice (Whitford and Ralphs) and a 2018 LPJR. All these guitars are fantastic. I see these kind of comments in Marshall Forum. Is a Gibson Custom Shop really worth 10 Epiphones? Most of these guys never picked up the guitar they are commenting on and completely miss the point. Obviously, not all Gibson’s are equal and Gibson USA does put out some budget priced guitars where compromises are made. But to make a blanket statement that Gibson builds shoddy guitars is not accurate and uninformed.

Triplet

I'm pretty sure a Tottenham fan doesn't even deserve a Gibson :hee

johnconley

When I started playing guitar in 2004, I really wanted a Gibson. they were amazing to me, but I was 11 and that was way out of the question. I eventually got an Epiphone Les Paul and it honestly played like a dream. when I was about to go to college I got my first big boy guitar, and it was a Fender Road Worn Tele (which I play every day to this day) for $700 (they had it on sale from $900 at my local place, Town Center Music). I had a part time job throughout college and paid https://www.writemyessayfast.ca to play at churches, but Gibsons were still out of the question bc of price (I really wanted a 2012 SG Standard, l like the bigger pickguard and was only like $1200). I got myself a Reverend Flatroc, a guitar so player friendly and pre-upgraded that it was the only guitar I've never modified. It was $800.

I don't know why but I never thought the same way. I love Gibson since my very first their guitar and I bought it for the fair price. No sloppy paint or poor factory setups noticed... Anyway what did you mean under "poor factory setups"?