• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Gibson GA-5 What Year?

Bill Guitarvin

Hi there! I’ve come across an add for a 1961 Gibson GA-5. I’m not sure that is really the year, as the other GA-5’s I’ve seen from 1961 have a thinner front (not like the TV 📺models of the LES PAUL Jr Amps that preceded the GA-5 from 1954-1956). Did Gibson make GA-5 amps that looked like this in 1961? I was looking on Reverb.com and saw a couple of GA-5’s that looked like the one I saw in the ad and one said it was a 1957, the other said it was a 1958. I read somewhere that they changed the design in 1958, so could this be from 1958? I am planning to go over and check it out in the next day or two and will see if I can find any date codes stamped on the transformers or pots, but just curious if anyone knew offhand what year or years this may have been made. Thanks so much! Gibson GA-5 1957 https://reverb.com/item/15629219-gibson-ga-5-1957?utm_source=ios-app&utm_medium=share
imagepng

sonar

All 2nd generation GA-5 Skylarks I've seen from roughly '58 (there might be some overlap from the "TV" fronts) to '61 (again possible overlap with the '62 silver front panel) have the thinner fronts. I used to own a '60 Maestro with the thinner front, but with tweed covering.

Electronically, pre '58's are all over the place... I couldn't tell you where the Les Paul Junior amp design ends and the Skylark circuit starts.

Bill Guitarvin

All 2nd generation GA-5 Skylarks I've seen from roughly '58 (there might be some overlap from the "TV" fronts) to '61 (again possible overlap with the '62 silver front panel) have the thinner fronts. I used to own a '60 Maestro with the thinner front, but with tweed covering.

Electronically, pre '58's are all over the place... I couldn't tell you where the Les Paul Junior amp design ends and the Skylark circuit starts.

Hi Sonar, and thanks so much for the reply! I’ve seen a few on Reverb.com that state they are from 1957 or1958 and they have this altered TV Model look, so not sure what is going on. Take care!

Bill Guitarvin

Yeah, what Sonar said. Your local "61" is probably a 58 or older. Transformers, pots, and speaker codes will tell.

I have a 59 Skylark. :yah

Here's a couple of helpful links...

http://www.angelfire.com/blues/rockinjohn/skylark_ga_5.html

http://www.0rigami.com/gg/amps.html

Thanks for taking the time to reply and sending the links ! I was able to get a shot of the power transformer and the date code said 34th week of 1957, so I think you both are right. Looks like it’s the 1st iteration. Congrats on having a 59 Skylark you lucky dog! 🐶

Bill Guitarvin

Thanks for taking the time to reply and sending the links ! I was able to get a shot of the power transformer and the date code said 34th week of 1957, so I think you both are right. Looks like it’s the 1st iteration. Congrats on having a 59 Skylark you lucky dog! 🐶

Well now I’m beginning to wonder if the GA-5 amp I’m looking at is either the guts of a GA-5 Skylark with a GA-5 LES PAUL Jr TV model cabinet, or some other hybrid because the owner of the amp says it has a 12AX7 in the preamp tube - not the 6SJ7 that, if I understand correctly, should be in the 1st iteration - the GA-5 LES PAUL Jr TV style amp. I’m wondering if they had a bunch of left over TV model cabinets when they redesigned the circuit with a 12AX7 and used up these TV model cabs before they went to the thinner front cab style of the GA-5 Skylark. Also the GA-5 I am looking at has a Jensen Alnico 5 PM Standard Series speaker in it - not the Jensen Special Design Speaker. I need to find out if it is an 8 or 10 inch speaker, as it looks like the LES PAUL Jr had a 10” and the Skylark of 1957 had an 8”.