• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Refinished 1969 Les Paul Custom Questions

DEVILBAT

Hi guys- Just got this great 1969 Les Paul Custom to play out and record with. I really like it; I have several 1950's Customs, both 3 pickup and alnico models that I totally love. I sold a 1968 Custom with a repaired head stock a couple of years ago, and really miss it, so I figure that this refin would be the best way for me to get a quality 2 humbucker "player" (refin) 1960's Custom without breaking the bank. Plus, this one has had a great refret and looks "real." The binding is nice and yellowed and the paint job was done by a pro. I added aftermarket '70s style witch hat knobs until I can find a nice set with gold inserts. Otherwise, this is all original and a killer guitar. Not too heavy either.
My question might seem silly, but, how can one tell if a '60s black custom has a one piece neck and body? Also, knowing this is a refin and that the fonts on those serial numbers on these guitars can be difficult to read even without a refin, what do you guys think of the serial number font on this guitar? There is some white waxy residue left inside the number from when the guitar was cleaned/polished after refin and before it was sold to me. No volute and no "Made in USA." Thanks for taking a look at my guitar, guys.

MjkdeGy.jpg

YpzthyK.jpg

5qnUGlw.jpg

F5NsH9y.jpg

lFJiRRO.jpg

RGH6CEr.jpg

pIpO3Gk.jpg

L3wBcKf.jpg

Last edited:

VamboRool

Trying looking in the pick-up cavities for evidence of the pancake body and three piece neck. Looks like whoever did the re-fin sprayed quite a bit of paint in the control cavity. Have fun with your new toy.

lhric

Hi guys- Just got this great 1969 Les Paul Custom to play out and record with. I really like it; I have several 1950's Customs, both 3 pickup and alnico models that I totally love. I sold a 1968 Custom with a repaired head stock a couple of years ago, and really miss it, so I figure that this refin would be the best way for me to get a quality 2 humbucker "player" (refin) 1960's Custom without breaking the bank. Plus, this one has had a great refret and looks "real." The binding is nice and yellowed and the paint job was done by a pro. I added aftermarket '70s style witch hat knobs until I can find a nice set with gold inserts. Otherwise, this is all original and a killer guitar. Not too heavy either.
My question might seem silly, but, how can one tell if a '60s black custom has a one piece neck and body? Also, knowing this is a refin and that the fonts on those serial numbers on these guitars can be difficult to read even without a refin, what do you guys think of the serial number font on this guitar? There is some white waxy residue left inside the number from when the guitar was cleaned/polished after refin and before it was sold to me. No volute and no "Made in USA." Thanks for taking a look at my guitar, guys.

YpzthyK.jpg

5qnUGlw.jpg

F5NsH9y.jpg

lFJiRRO.jpg

RGH6CEr.jpg

pIpO3Gk.jpg

L3wBcKf.jpg

Hi. You can tell if it’s a one piece or not with looking in the pickup cavities and see if there is an extra layer of maple in between. Looks like the pots are dated from the 29th week of 1969 so maybe looking at a later July or August ship date. So probably well into the three piece laminate necks just as on the69 Goldtop Deluxe models going out at that time. The body is probably a pancake starting at this time. Is there a center seam running along the sides? Depends when the refin was done and over time the paint settles into the wood. Also you may be able to tell under a dark light lamp it may show the glued seams.

zacknorton

The pickup cavity doesn’t show any tell tale signs of a pancake to me...am I off base? More pics?

Bruce R

Fantastic looking guitar!

My mid-69 Custom has a three-piece top, three-piece neck, and a single piece body.

VJK2kvD

Bruce R

My mid-69 Custom has a three-piece top, three-piece neck, and a single piece body.

anBH1IG.jpg

DEVILBAT

Appears to me to have a "transitional" tenon...but I don't know enough about these so please have a look. Thanks!

MjkdeGy.jpg

El Gringo

is there a way you could please repost the photo of the pickup cavity that shows the type of tenon as I am unable to view these photos which is a bummer . On my early 70's Les Paul Custom , if you look on the sides of the body you can clearly see the pancake style body design . I am sending my custom out to have new pickups put in and set up (ThroBak SLE-101 Plus ) . I love these Norlin era Les Paul Customs !

moonweasel

Hi guys!

I would venture that it is a 3pc neck, 1pc body guitar from the late summer/fall of '69. I'm basing that on the tenon, the headstock logo, and pot dots. Is that an 858xxx serial? That would make perfect sense. The serial has definitely been restamped. Looks like a fun guitar! :dude:

I call this a "Middle Series" on my website: http://www.latesixtieslespauls.com/middle.asp

Progrocker111

Yes, three piece top, three piece neck and "one piece" body with extra maple layer just under the maple cap. Must be great rock and hardrock guitar, i love these. :)

akkermanfan

anBH1IG.jpg
Hi BGReed2, What a beauty, congratulions !! May I ask, is this serial number in the 54x xxx ? Thanks, akkermanfan

Bruce R

Yes, the serial number is 884-8**. Sorry, I didn't see your question until this morning.

This may not mean much but the neck shape of my Custom is very similar to a '59 neck; fairly thin at the first fret (.856") but gets larger as it approaches the 12th fret (1.059").

A friends '68 Goldtop had a neck like a baseball bat.

lpcust

Very nice! IMO, what's important is how it plays and sounds. The tenon isn't the early long tenon, but I care less and less about those details. I've only played my early '69 Custom and my '68 Goldtop, but I'd guess that multi-piece body/neck examples sound just as good. Has anyone played enough of these to comment on how early and late models sound? Moonweasel?