• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1976 Les Paul Deluxe - Spec?

kevt141

Hi all,

I'm looking at a 1976 LP Deluxe that is fitted with P90s. Were these ever a factory fit or must it be the case that the mini humbuckers have been swapped out at some stage?
Also, was neck binding over the fret edges used at that time? The frets are proud of the neck binding so does that suggest a refret?
Any help appreciated.
Thanks
Kev, U.K.

Bob Womack

Hi, Kev!

I don't remember a '76 with P-90s. I think they were mini-hums at that point. Also, to your question of fret over binding vs. bound fret ends, everyone says they were all bound fret ends but two I saw in '77 that were from '74 appeared to always have been fret over binding. So, nothing definitive, but maybe some anecdotal info.

Bob

Strings Jr.

Hi all,

I'm looking at a 1976 LP Deluxe that is fitted with P90s. Were these ever a factory fit or must it be the case that the mini humbuckers have been swapped out at some stage?
Also, was neck binding over the fret edges used at that time? The frets are proud of the neck binding so does that suggest a refret?
Any help appreciated.
Thanks
Kev, U.K.

Hello Kev.

Please check the fingerboard of the guitar you are looking at.
Ebony fingerboard = Factory P90's
Rosewood fingerboard = Mini Humbuckers.

Frets should not be over the binding.

:salude

kevt141

OK, thanks very much. I've re-posted this in the USA section but appreciate your replies.