• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

James Williamson's Les Paul Custom 1969 has all mahogany body or 4 ply maple mahogany

Woodhavens

Hi there everybody around the globe,

I am confused about the info I read about James Williamson's sunburst Les Paul Custom 1969

In an article about him on fretboard journal
https://www.fretboardjournal.com/features/1969-gibson-les-paul-custom-raw-power-guitar/

I read his guitar is the revived Custom made with maple top and the back is made with two pieces of mahogany and two thin pieces of maple (4 ply)

Then, in another article in guitarsagogo

http://guitarsagogo.blogspot.com/2012/04/1969-gibson-les-paul-custom.html

about him and his guitar I read his guitar has some earlier "1969" features (one piece body and neck)

I now am very curious which one it is. His guitar sound is one of a few that are imprinted in my memory.

Hopefully there is someone who can clear this issue for me.

zacknorton

I don’t know anything about that dude or that particular guitar
but it’s obviously got a maple top.

That much is certain.

mdubya

It would be easy to tell with a clear photo. From this photo, it appears to have a pancake body. But it is certainly not 100% clear.

What difference would it make?

IMG_5404.JPG

Woodhavens

Ok thnx. I also saw in some photos it had a maple top and then it other photos the tiger maple design disappeared so I got confused. But now I understand it has a maple top.

And pancake body or not, since I thought it would color the sound, that's why I wanted to know. But maybe the difference does not influence the sound.
Thanks for your replies anyway.

chasenblues

Wouldn't the "Made in USA" stamp and the size of the volute indicate its a post 1970 model?

SMi82Oth.jpg

Woodhavens

What I read in the Les Paul guitar book is "from about 1969, Gibson also added a volute to the back of the neck"

1969 was in the transition period. Mixed configuration.

chasenblues

I wasn't questioning the presence of the volute, But the physical size of the of it. Wouldn't the Cherry burst make it a 71 or later?

moonweasel

This guitar is NOT from the 1960's. Headstock logo began in very late 1970 (pretty sure), big volute, made in the USA, heel shape is not 1960s.