• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Need buying advice please.

Thundermtn

So a builder I've wanted a guitar from for a long time is able to make me a guitar. I've never held or saw one in person, buying from reputation only, but I never hear people complain about quality and they rarely show up used.

Now that my opportunity is here, I'm facing the reality that it's going to be $4K (-66% +/-) in depreciation the moment the payment is sent, looking at comparables from the few examples that I have saw come up for sale. What if I end up not liking the guitar? It's not like taking a year and hand picking a R8 from dozens of test drives, I'll get whatever is sent.

On the other hand, say if I get a '62 LP Jr. the overall price will be a little less than the new guitar, and it's not going to drop in value much quickly. Should I just bite the bullet and get the new one, or get the safe bet money wise for when I leave my guitars to my kids?

Pellman73

So a builder I've wanted a guitar from for a long time is able to make me a guitar. I've never held or saw one in person, buying from reputation only, but I never hear people complain about quality and they rarely show up used.

Now that my opportunity is here, I'm facing the reality that it's going to be $4K (-66% +/-) in depreciation the moment the payment is sent, looking at comparables from the few examples that I have saw come up for sale. What if I end up not liking the guitar? It's not like taking a year and hand picking a R8 from dozens of test drives, I'll get whatever is sent.

On the other hand, say if I get a '62 LP Jr. the overall price will be a little less than the new guitar, and it's not going to drop in value much quickly. Should I just bite the bullet and get the new one, or get the safe bet money wise for when I leave my guitars to my kids?

definitely go with having the dude make you the guitar.

I've done one build with B&G that is done, I"m doing one now with Banker custom that is like christmas every day. Matt H sends me instagram pics of it every step of the way (not that this is critical but its like going through a pregnancy or something... seeing it come to life is really fun). today he hand carved a beautiful neck out of a block of wood. that is amazing to see!

I also have a deposit in for a certain korina V maker dude to make me a korina v (and its going to be epic!).... that will be months away. the anticipation is really part of the fun I think.

Think about the fact that you are also supporting a master artisan-- a 62 JR-- you can find one of those any time.... and they will probably not be anywhere near as good a guitar as the one this guy is gonna make you

Life is about memories and the build you'll do with this guy will be a great memory and you will not regret it (it sounds like)

sometimes money should not be the first consideration I think...

that's my thoughts!

Thundermtn

I'd rather not say. A few people here probably have ties to the builder and i don't want him to feel insulted. However the guitar will be over two months take home wages for me. Either way it's going to be excruciatingly hard to pay for, or i will regret not getting it until the day I die.

My buddy told me to not worry about resale value b/c i haven't sold or traded a guitar in thirty years, so what does it matter what the used price will be.

Pellman73

I'd rather not say. A few people here probably have ties to the builder and i don't want him to feel insulted. However the guitar will be over two months take home wages for me. Either way it's going to be excruciatingly hard to pay for, or i will regret not getting it until the day I die.

My buddy told me to not worry about resale value b/c i haven't sold or traded a guitar in thirty years, so what does it matter what the used price will be.

dang man you seem almost tortured by this

just remember this is supposed to be fun!

I"d hate for it to be a huge stressor for you as well...

Thundermtn

Torture is an appropriate word here.

It gets worse though.

I found a korina and a flamed maple over mahogany on the used market this week. Not exactly how I'd order one finish-wise, but they are $3.5K and $2.5K less expensive and still are great examples in nearly mint condition.

Pellman73

Torture is an appropriate word here.

It gets worse though.

I found a korina and a flamed maple over mahogany on the used market this week. Not exactly how I'd order one finish-wise, but they are $3.5K and $2.5K less expensive and still are great examples in nearly mint condition.

well go with your gut I'd say!

hope you find a good resolution