• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Plastic Color vs Bobbin Color

jalevinemd

I know that the color of the rings and guards is all over the place on 'Bursts and dependent on a whole host of factors...not the least of which is how the guitar spent the last 60 years. And there's a great sticky thread in the Custom/Historic Section comparing many different brands of plastic against vintage original. What I'm curious to know is the following:

On a set of uncovered Double White PAF's (generally speaking) is the bobbin color usually more tan or more white compared to the pickup ring color? Or is this all over the map as well? :peace2

TM1

I know that the color of the rings and guards is all over the place on 'Bursts and dependent on a whole host of factors...not the least of which is how the guitar spent the last 60 years. And there's a great sticky thread in the Custom/Historic Section comparing many different brands of plastic against vintage original. What I'm curious to know is the following:

On a set of uncovered Double White PAF's (generally speaking) is the bobbin color usually more tan or more white compared to the pickup ring color? Or is this all over the map as well? :peace2

It depends on the colour of the bobbin batch. They varied as did the switch ring & pickup rings. It wasn't important as they thought nobody would be looking under the covers. the specs were for the bobbins to be black, but Hughes Plastics ran out of the carbon black that was added to Butyrate material on a couple of occasions so we had the white/cream bobbins.