• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Photos from Fort Worth 2018

corpse

Does anyone know the story/details on the $95k '58 Goldtop... ? :hmm

Owned by a member here- a prior owner had drilled out a spot in the PG to keep it from moving, and fastened it to the body. This had been plugged- both the PG and the body. He was thinning the herd. A very nice guitar with a bright attack- the PUP's were PAF's but AFAIK not original to the guitar.

Chef Greg

that goldtop is/was a great value IMO ... :dude: congrats to the new owner!

GreenBurst

Owned by a member here- a prior owner had drilled out a spot in the PG to keep it from moving, and fastened it to the body. This had been plugged- both the PG and the body. He was thinning the herd. A very nice guitar with a bright attack- the PUP's were PAF's but AFAIK not original to the guitar.

Was that from around 2008?

mistersnappy

Plus my two on display: Sandy [as seen in post #6] and Curly, my late 1960. :)

Ah yes. I was referring to others for sale or display. Thanks for always bringing some of yours! I guess the two that were sold were gone by Sunday.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
One of many fun moments at the show for me. :ganz

IMG_1638.JPG

:hee

JIMI55LP

Did any of you get a look at the 1953 LP Custom for 30K in post #2 in the first two photos? It's listed on Ebay for several weeks now as being an "early LP Custom 1953 with no serial#" and the tech says it has no serial# because it's a prototipical first release that had no serial# like early 1952 LP GTs, but I told him all 1952 GTs had no serial# and I asked if he could read the pots codes from the IRC harness to help verify his claim. He said he didn't want to disturb the harness and didn't have access to a dental mirror for checking. He called me from the guitar show where we spoke about the prototype LP Custom and I asked if tomorrow when the show opened if he'd ask for some help with reading the harness pots. I'm thinking this isn't very difficult to do since I've done it to every 50s LP Special, GT, and Junior I've ever owned, but I do own a dental mirror? What do you guys think about no serial# and it being a 1953 when Gibson shipping records don't claim shipping one before 1954? I'm not saying I haven't seen a Custom marked 1953 but I don't believe Gibson would not have put a serial# on it which made me think it may have been polished off to conceal it's identity or ownership. I'm not saying 30K with the original case is over the top even though they aren't "giving it away" and they are flexible and accepting offers but the harness identification would be the only way to verify this "white elephant" with no serial# can be verified. Just wanted to see if anyone else looked at the Custom? I'm always interested in low production #s and bought a 1959 LP Special 3/4 student guitar for that very reason but it does have all correct Centralab pots codes and a serial# to verify what it is.

corpse

See the Alnico thread in this pub- there is some good history in that thread.
I have played a 1953 custom and they are sweet indeed. $30K is alot of Jing- thinking $18K is a more realistic number.