• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Digital Cameras

akstrat61

I'm going to buy a digital camera kit and am looking for some advice. I have a couple of friends who use Nikons and seem to like them? In looking models over, the D7500 seems to be a decent body to grow into. When it comes to choosing lenses, that's where it gets crazy. I plan to shoot picts of guitars (of course), outdoors, wildlife, sports and use as a travel camera. I may need a couple of lenses? Anyone offering suggestions would be great! It seems the more I read, the more choices that are out there!:jim

Putty

Photography is like playing guitar in that you can get caught up in the gear end of it and find yourself constantly buying and selling. I'm that way with guitars and amps and it's a black hole. (As we all know here...) When I took up photography, I promised myself that I would not go that route, and I've been pretty good, more time shooting, less time on forums. (I should be playing right now, LOL) I can't tell you what lenses to buy, it's so subjective, but I will say that I don't own a single piece of camera gear that I bought new. There are tons of gear heads that are constantly selling last years model to buy the latest, take advantage of that market. I'm a Canon guy, but my mentor is a Canon guy and that allows us to borrow from each other. If your friends are Nikon guys, then by all means get a Nikon body. Starter kits are great, but it sounds like you don't mind starting with a top notch body, so I would suggest a couple of lenses, maybe an 18-55 and a 55-250? Oh wait, I think I said that I wasn't going to suggest any lenses! Hope this is helpful.

J.D.

If you're going to be somewhat serious look at semi- professional models with full frame sensors. Good glass isn't cheap, but quality lenses with low f stops will allow good low light images.

gibson-r8

There are so many variables to selecting a camera system. Nikon has been my brand since 1971, I love that I can use some of my old glass with my current D610 full frame. You really should just jump in and research the available options, there are so many even within brands. Try exploring at

https://www.dpreview.com/

They have extensive reviews. Don't bother asking this question there, everybody has an opinion, and a preference. Like guitars, it is what works for you that counts.

J T

Theres consumer grade then pro grade. The pro grade have full frame sensors. Nikon, Canon are pretty much the same. Nikon has a better flash system. Video people love the Canons.

Once you decide on a body, you pretty much join that side of the fence.

Prime lenses were king years ago, but zooms are right there with great quality.

My cameras have all the features and I've used all the features at one time or the other. Guess what, I do it all MANUAL now because I know pretty much what F-stop/Shutter speed/ISO I want. But that comes with experience. But along that same train of thought, I've been using my Leicas more lately because they give me back my creative photo thinking rather than getting caught up in camera tech mush.

So, just getting started,
* Decide on consumer grade or pro grade system.
* Decide on Nikon or Canon or another that offers full frame, BUT keep in mind Nikon and Canon service and lenses, parts are available world wide.
*Get a zoom 24-70 or something like at first. It's pretty much useful in most situations . it's a bit lighter than the long zooms.
Beware. This hobby/profession can get VERY expensive. :)

Once you get an idea of what stye or subject matter you gravitate toward, get gear that is suited to that style.

Most of all,
Have fun.

akstrat61

Some great ideas here. I had not looked at full frame cameras, I'm really not sure what that means?:hank.

I guess I need to do some more reading and get up to speed a bit more before I pull the trigger. Please keep the suggestions coming.:dude:

renderit

Full frame means the image is recorded on a chip which is as big as a 35mm negative would be. You don't use multipliers when figuring out which lens to use. With the Prosumer and entry camera the lenses are smaller than the number on them because the image is larger than the chip. I.e. a 50mm lens for a Canon would be a 31.25 lens to the prosumer Canon camera. So it would go from a normal lens to a wide lens when used on a prosumer.

Should you go prosumer I would recommend NOT getting 'Digital' lenses specifically for APS-C cameras but go with the multipliers to buy older standard 35mm format lenses. That way WHEN you trade up in the future the lenses will still work.

I went Nikon full size 2 years? ago and got an excellent body/lens (750 with 24-120 f4ED combo from B&H at a killer price. As I have been buying mostly old lenses everything works with the new body. I got a very highly rated zoom with it. Sadly, I can't use some of my old memory cards but gladly the new ones are so cheap and so huge I don't care.

Save money for memory cards (Costco sells them at GREAT prices), a good bag (but be aware you will go through 10 before you find one YOU like), good lens protectors with EACH lens you get (UV, polarized, whatever you want but optically great ones are necessary) and a good lens/sensor cleaning system.

And most of all USE IT. I haven't so I don't know my butt from a hole in the ground on it and when I need it I'm screwed.

sws1

Virtually any camera with detachable lenses will take pictures far better than a tiny digital or a cell phone. If you don't know what all the features are, or if you need all the stuff that comes with a higher end, full-frame camera, buy a lower-end DSLR, and a bunch of books. The photos will be 99% of what the higher end stuff gets you.

CMExchange

Les Paul Forum Sponsor
I'm going to buy a digital camera kit and am looking for some advice. I have a couple of friends who use Nikons and seem to like them? In looking models over, the D7500 seems to be a decent body to grow into. When it comes to choosing lenses, that's where it gets crazy. I plan to shoot picts of guitars (of course), outdoors, wildlife, sports and use as a travel camera. I may need a couple of lenses? Anyone offering suggestions would be great! It seems the more I read, the more choices that are out there!:jim

I just got a Sony A7II which is the older generation but I love it! The cool thing about them is that you can use lenses from other manufacturers, you simply need an adaptor to do so. That's different than most manufacturers who require you to use thier lenses exclusively. I did go nuts on a lens which is the most important part really. I use this camera and a Zeiss 1.8/55MM lense for all guitar pics and I love the results! Hope this helps! David A

Supronaut

Akstrat61,

I’m a freelance camera operator and have been working in the film industry for going on 10 years, so I spend a great deal of time looking at, researching, and using cameras.

We we have a saying when it comes to cameras: Spend twice as much on the glass (lenses) as you would the camera. The lenses will arguably last you your entire shooting life. Cameras have a little under two year life span.

Generally speaking, the “Full Frame” vs “APS-C / Crop Sensor” argument is a moot point. What matters much more, is your skill, talent, and familiarity with whatever system you shoot with. They say 35mm Full Frame is the photography standard, but that’s more than a bit of a misnomer these days. The second it went digital to there ceased to be a standard anything. I know many professional, working photographers working with crop sensors. And almost the whole of the cinema industry works off of a S35 “crop sensor” which is smaller than full frame.

The best camera is the one you have with you. Simply put. When you reach into your pocket and grab your cell phone, that’s better than the most expensive camera you don’t have with you.

There will never be a perfect camera, or a right camera. Just a “right for you” camera. Find out what you want to shoot, how you like to shoot, and find the camera that does that well.

Anyways, hopefully this has been a little helpful in your search. I’m always free and happy to answer any technical questions you may have. And I’m still learning too, so it’s great to hear the knowledge and experience other members of this fine site have to offer.

akstrat61

I appreciate all the comments. I ended up buying a Nikon and a couple of lenses. Now the fun begins! I'll try and get a couple of picts posted this weekend!:dude:

The Guitar Hunter

I just got a Sony A7II which is the older generation but I love it! The cool thing about them is that you can use lenses from other manufacturers, you simply need an adaptor to do so. That's different than most manufacturers who require you to use thier lenses exclusively. I did go nuts on a lens which is the most important part really. I use this camera and a Zeiss 1.8/55MM lense for all guitar pics and I love the results! Hope this helps! David A

+1 for the Sony.
I recently converted over to Sony from Canon after they wanted me to check out their stuff before heading out on tour this summer. I make my living as a concert photographer and while the Canon cameras were great (6D and 5DMIII) for the few years that I used them, the Sony outperformed them in every way. The glass is a little more pricey, but it's totally worth it. The a7III is the model that I'm using. Full frame pro camera that is very versatile.

Let me know if you have any questions and I'll help as best I can

akstrat61

Once again, thanks to all. Yes, I did end up getting the D7500. It was at the price point I wanted and should be good enough to shoot most stuff. Thus far, the pics are great, mostly pilot errors from me not knowing how to get the the correct settings, given light conditions and motion.... Pretty steep learning curve, but the cost of film is pretty cheap!:dude:

Ed Driscoll

Les Paul Forum Member
Are the two posts preceding this one :2spam ?

I have a Panasonic Lumix DMC-F7200 that's about five years old. It's very easy to use in point and shoot mode, but it can be programmed do some good stuff with the flash, the panorama mode, and with its night mode. It's also not a bad video camera, though it lacks an external mic input. My only complaint is that images it produces seem just a hair soft. Whenever I clean up a photo I've taken with the Lumix in Photoshop, I always find myself reaching for the unsharp mask or smart sharpen filters to give the photos some digital "bite."