• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Strange Saddle Positions

pgfitzgerald

I feel kind of dumb for asking this...

I'm checking out used Les Pauls online and for some reason I'm put off when I see saddles in odd positions like this on a right-handed guitar. Completely backward from what I expect.

I figured most of the time it's probably due to a poor setup.

However, I'm worried that it could be indicative of a problem with the guitar itself and not correctable by a good setup.

Thoughts?

renderit

Looks like someone has the slide in backwards and some internetted dunce followed it...

Zentar

The owner took the bridge off to clean it and reinstalled it backwards

Monroe

Are you concerned that they are out of adjustment?
Or that the guitar is intonated but the saddles are not where you think they "should" be?
Lots of things can effect the intonation.
Worn fret crowns or poorly crowned frets,
Improperly cut nut,
Crappy or worn out strings,
Even neck relief.

All the above are correctable.
The likelyhood that the actual fret slots were cut wrong on a Gibson is near zero.

pgfitzgerald

Are you concerned that they are out of adjustment?
Or that the guitar is intonated but the saddles are not where you think they "should" be?
Lots of things can effect the intonation.
Worn fret crowns or poorly crowned frets,
Improperly cut nut,
Crappy or worn out strings,
Even neck relief.

All the above are correctable.
The likelyhood that the actual fret slots were cut wrong on a Gibson is near zero.

I don't have a lot of experience purchasing used guitars. I'm just concerned that it could perhaps indicate an issue that I couldn't correct with a proper setup.

I know every guitar is going to be a little different, but some of the guitars I've seen show some super funky saddle adjustments -- backward like this, fairly well straight across, completely bottomed out in one direction of the other.

So are you saying it's not really something I ought to be worried about and that a proper setup after acquiring the used instrument will almost certainly correct any issues?

Thanks!

GeraintGuitar

jesus thats THE worst strat copy ive ever seen !

post a pic of the rest of the guitar dude

Last edited:

Big Al

Don't obsess over things you imagine may indicate non existent issues. That picture means nothing. First thing I do for any guitar, new or used, is a complete pro set up. Most "problems/issues" real or implied fail to survive a precision set up. Serious issues are evident in hand and I can deal with the seller for a return or appropriate refund.

Those that lack expertese should make prearrangements to have a competent tech do this.

jtees4

The saddles move, and can be turned around....sometimes for a good reason. Irrelevant IMHO. Not everyone knows what they're doing, I've learned that over the years. I've bought guitars where the owner probably thought they were ripping me off because the guitars played horribly or had a loose wire or something. I've never met a guitar I could not set up to play very good to great. I've bought and sold many many guitars, kept some and made money overall.