• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Sound differences ES-335 vs ES-345 vs ES-355

Omega

I'm in the market for a new ES-3x5 guitar.

What I am looking for:
-FAT neck
-Viking Red finish (these are somewhat rare and/or proprietary vendor exclusive models, I guess)
-stop tail; no Bigsbys, trapeze, etc

-Prefer non dot inlays but for the right guitar, will deal with.

I generally play hard rock.

In general, what are the sound differences between these 3 models? Any help here will be appreciated.

latestarter

If you're speaking about modern RI's then the sound variations will only be down the individual specimens. That is, intrinsic variations due to the guitars natural resonance etc. Construction differences to fit the choke in won't mean a lot. That's my experience.

I just sold my 2015 '59 RI ES-345 and it had a very large neck.

In vintage models the Varitone circuit is different and there are tonal considerations. But you said "new" so probably not an issue for you.

lz7aYLB.jpg

wmachine

Presume late models here.
Identically equipped, they will be the same. The Varitone will be the differentiator. You won't get a 335 with, and you'll have trouble finding a 355 without. A 345 will usually have one, but they've been made w/o.

bangkok

Here you go! Nice fat neck and a stop bar! Might be on Ebay soon.

StSpider

In my (admittedly modest) experience 355s tend to sound a little more "rockin'", due to the ebony fretboard that most have (not the recent ones) and the Grovers, which (IMO) make them sound a tiny bit more focused.