• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Dean Markley Helix??????????

DannyR8

Hi everyone,

It's been a while since I've posted and I hope you all are well. I conducted an experiment of sorts a couple years ago with around 12 different string sets from different manufacturers all in "pure nickel" and .010's. Long story short, I kept notes and changed strings on the same Les Paul every 10 days so I could best discern the differences. After completing my trials, I landed on Dean Markley Helix Pure Nickel strings as what I found best for me. I ordered 20 sets of them and life was good............until this past weekend. I strung up my last set and went to place an order for more only to find out that they are now discontinued!

So now my search for the Goldilocks strings is back on. I ordered a few sets of strings in the meantime to get me by but I was hoping to get some suggestions from others. Any of you have experience with the Helix strings? Have you found other strings that have been comparable? For some reference, I found the Helix's to have the best clarity for me especially when playing rhythm with the guitar volume rolled back. Also, the guitar has upgraded pots, wiring harness capacitors etc. I've been down those roads already. And don't get me wrong, I realize that I will find the next best thing on my own. I already have different sets on the way. Also, I have reached out to Dean Markley for their suggestion on what they may have replaced the Helix's with and haven't heard anything back. So I was hoping to find some folks that may have recently moved on from the Helix strings as I have.

duaneflowers

Are you sure they are discontinued? I still see them for sale in shops here in Japan... :hmm

DannyR8

I was buying them from the same supplier in the US. When I called to order more, is when I was told that they were discontinued. I spent a while online trying to find other sources but all the sites that I check show them being "out of stock" or "currently unavailable". A few sets show up from Australia but end up costing around $65-$75 for 3 sets, that's too much. If the .010-.046 sets are still available in Japan, I'm interested to bulk order more. My guess is maybe they have more old stock of the sets over there?

duaneflowers

I was buying them from the same supplier in the US. When I called to order more, is when I was told that they were discontinued. I spent a while online trying to find other sources but all the sites that I check show them being "out of stock" or "currently unavailable". A few sets show up from Australia but end up costing around $65-$75 for 3 sets, that's too much. If the .010-.046 sets are still available in Japan, I'm interested to bulk order more. My guess is maybe they have more old stock of the sets over there?

The ones on Amazon Japan are about $6.50 per set and it says there are more than 10 available... I have no idea if its old stock or new... other places advertise them but that would probably be the easiest for you... :salude

DannyR8

The ones on Amazon Japan are about $6.50 per set and it says there are more than 10 available... I have no idea if its old stock or new... other places advertise them but that would probably be the easiest for you... :salude

I checked Amazon's US site already and the only set of 10's on there were $35. The rest that showed up were other sizes. If it were only that easy. I also searched Amazon's Japanese site and didn't see any pure nickel Helix sets at all. If you would be so kind a to provide me with a link, I would jump all over that deal. I have also searched various online string dealers along with the big name music gear sites. You're making it out to be such an easy find...................

Dean Markley did finally get back to me and acknowledged that they are no longer making them, so it looks like I'm out of luck otherwise.

Last edited:

Progear

I really like the throbak pure nickel .. good luck with your search

duaneflowers

I checked Amazon's US site already and the only set of 10's on there were $35. The rest that showed up were other sizes. If it were only that easy. I also searched Amazon's Japanese site and didn't see any pure nickel Helix sets at all. If you would be so kind a to provide me with a link, I would jump all over that deal. I have also searched various online string dealers along with the big name music gear sites. You're making it out to be such an easy find...................

Dean Markley did finally get back to me and acknowledged that they are no longer making them, so it looks like I'm out of luck otherwise.
https://www.amazon.co.jp/MARKLEY-ディ...61121&sr=1-2&keywords=dean+markley+helix&th=1

duaneflowers

Than you. Close but no cigar though. I'm after the blue "pure nickel" set. I think I'm out of luck. I will have to start over again to find the next best thing.
Ah... I missed that part. Those are available here, but they are $35 here as well... my favorite pure nickels are DR and Pyramid... :salude