• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

MY FIRST LP CUSTOM SHOP STANDARD HISTORIC 59 and Pickup question

Rhandy

Hi everyone!

Yesterday I receive my first LP Custom Shop 59 standard historic.
I have other LP standard built in 1997.

The first big difference in sound is the "59" neck have too much power, i have to down the pickup because when i switch to bridge position the bridge pickup have much less output. After I raise the bridge a little and down the neck the sound comes more balanced.
But I still have much more power on this custom shop compaired to my LP, I have to rol off volume to clean the neck pickup. This guitar push my Amp on clean channel to breakup . I think this guitar have much more dirtyness on sound. Is that normal?

I have buy it on line!

Big Al

Hi everyone!

Yesterday I receive my first LP Custom Shop 59 standard historic.
I have other LP standard built in 1997.

The first big difference in sound is the "59" neck have too much power, i have to down the pickup because when i switch to bridge position the bridge pickup have much less output. After I raise the bridge a little and down the neck the sound comes more balanced.
But I still have much more power on this custom shop compaired to my LP, I have to rol off volume to clean the neck pickup. This guitar push my Amp on clean channel to breakup . I think this guitar have much more dirtyness on sound. Is that normal?

I have buy it on line!

Rhandy, they all will sound a bit different and the build of the Custom Shop 59 Reissue guitar is very different from the USA Standard. The pickups are Custombuckers and to my ear they are a bit under wound sounding with a very clear and open tone. They really, really seem to just love the neck spot and suit that place well, IMO. The reason there are two volume pots and two tone pots, one for each pickup is so that after adjusting the individual heights, you can then adjust the overall volume and tone of each pickup st suit your needs. There is nothing wrong in having different settings on each pickup as long as you get the result you seek. Amp settings come into play as well as the physical properties of string vibration. There is much more string vibration over the neck pickup and this is a powerful spot. The Bridge spot is much more subdued, which is why most bridge pickups need to be adjusted close to the strings where the neck is typically set much farther away.

There is always the option of putting a more powerful magnet in the bridge pickup or you could replace it with a hotter pickup of your choice.