• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

How much Does a headstock break take off a 60 Juniors price?

Hotshot

Just searching classifieds and came upon this.. 60 DC.. Was wondering if its worth pursuing or just walking away...
IMG_4621-L.jpg
IMG_4622-M.jpg

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Rough rule of thumb would 50% less.
Far more details needed to be precise, but that's a start.

Hotshot

Thx Tom. Everything else checks out and I doubt they fixed it. Just trying to learn more on things hat could be “ deals” or problem children. By 64 has a little unfixed crack at the bottom of my control cavity. That didn’t bug me. The black light showed fine and not all the way through. And, you can’t see it. Little diff than headstock/heel..

marshall1987

Has the break been repaired? You weren't clear on that. Discount is usually around 50% of comparable examples.

goldtop0

That would make the Juniors a relative 'good buy' provided it's a good repair?

How do you pundits view headstock breaks in general terms.........eg are these worse or otherwise than neck breaks(for the LP's stability/playability).

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
That would make the Juniors a relative 'good buy' provided it's a good repair?

How do you pundits view headstock breaks in general terms.........eg are these worse or otherwise than neck breaks(for the LP's stability/playability).

Every single crack or break needs to be assessed separately. This includes the history of the crack [repaired or not, etc.].
Then you decide your comfort factor with what you see.
You can get lucky ….. but you can also get screwed.
There's no simple answer at this point.

goldtop0

Every single crack or break needs to be assessed separately. This includes the history of the crack [repaired or not, etc.].
Then you decide your comfort factor with what you see.
You can get lucky ….. but you can also get screwed.
There's no simple answer at this point.

Thanks Tom, and understand the practicality of that:salude

fernieite

Sorry to be a dummy here, but how could you get screwed? Some repaired breaks come undone or something?

I'm about to look at a pro headstock repaired vintage Gibson, that's why I ask...

sws1

Sorry to be a dummy here, but how could you get screwed? Some repaired breaks come undone or something?

I'm about to look at a pro headstock repaired vintage Gibson, that's why I ask...

A poorly done repair that needs to be redone.
Paying too much, thinking the repair isn't that bad. (e.g., looks like a tiny crack, but is really a replace headstock)
The repair is done to deceive / mask, and is worse than thought.
Repair done with inauthentic materials.
etc.

goldtop0

Paying too much, thinking the repair isn't that bad. (e.g., looks like a tiny crack, but is really a replace headstock)
etc.

Forensic territory some of this isn't it.
Yes a blanket 50% off the vintage price and then take it from there is a good rule of thumb.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner

etc.

Redoing a bad repair is often much more difficult than doing it correctly the first time. Sometimes it ruins the chance to repair a bad repair.