• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Motorcycles

J.D.

I've ridden with my brights on since the 70s. I use a 55/100 watt headlight bulb. Most headlight bulbs are 55/60 watt.

IMHO riding with high beam active, especially an exceptionally bright one, is *terrible* practice and advice. Where legal, consider a modulating light.

Zentar

IMHO riding with high beam active, especially an exceptionally bright one, is *terrible* practice and advice. Where legal, consider a modulating light.

Go back under your rock before you get somebody killed. You know not of what you speak.

J.D.

Good advice if a rider is looking to get an ass whoopin.

Dimitri92

Wow, that got nasty real quick. I'm with you here J.D...

Mdubya; interesting to read about your experiences, thanks!

metropolis

Lots of great advice in here already, especially start small and work your way up. I took my time on a 125 for 6 months before slowly progressing while friends went straight to supersport bikes. I don't think it's a coincidence that years later they've all given up riding and I'm still loving it.

Only my guitar collection is more excessive than my bike collection. In the garage I have a BMW R1150GS (incredible all-rounder and tourer - I call it my van), BMW R1100S Boxer Cup Replica (beautiful bike with amazing handling) and a Yamaha R6 track bike.

I've ridden with my brights on since the 70s. I use a 55/100 watt headlight bulb. Most headlight bulbs are 55/60 watt.

In the UK since 2004 all new bikes don't have a light switch so dipped beam is always on. I cringe when I see bikers on the road, especially around autumn / winter time without their lights on. Anything you can do to be seen, even if it's slightly annoying to cars is worth it.

Zentar

Lots of great advice in here already, especially start small and work your way up. I took my time on a 125 for 6 months before slowly progressing while friends went straight to supersport bikes. I don't think it's a coincidence that years later they've all given up riding and I'm still ride

In the UK since 2004 all new bikes don't have a light switch so dipped beam is always on. I cringe when I see bikers on the road, especially around autumn / winter time without their lights on. Anything you can do to be seen, even if it's slightly annoying to cars is worth it.

I began on a 125 as well.

I think to two best safety features are 55/100 headlight bulb and fairing. Both make you more visible. I've had amazingly few drivers gat annoyed at my headlight. Less than a handful in 45 yrs. I suspect most bike alternators don't actually put out 100w.
I never run the hibeam at night however I do flash anyone that I think doesn't see me.

AA00475Bassman

My high beam is on at all time's, although I have not done any night riding for 15 years .

AA00475Bassman

5LvqRIG.jpg
[/IMG] Vespa,s great to learn on, most of your focus is traffic , twist the throttle & go . These newer machines handle really well !! Photoed is a LX 150 air small frame & my black GT 200 big frame liquid .

AA00475Bassman

4uP1HPc.jpg
[/IMG] If you want something really fun a 4 valve Ducati is a blast .My kitted 06 999 .

metropolis

When can we all have a go? :hee

You don't see many black Ducatis around here but that looks great. Lovely bike.

Here's my 'looker' - inspired by a Ducati 916's underseat exhaust. Albeit in several pieces in my garage while I tidy up some of the typical BMW engine corrosion.

gKI56b6.jpg

hoss

What an endless Summer this year here in Austria, still nice and warm. Perfect riding weather!

ktm_1170.jpg

60'sGold

I was pretty much born on a mini bike, and soon graduated to dirt bikes that were way too big for me. I've ridden in the dirt my whole life. Got into street bikes in the early 2000's, and quickly purchased a Honda VTX 1800. It was a badass bike. I got rid of it around 2010. Was tired of dodging 'little old ladies' that kept pulling out in front of me. I missed it immediately. Even more lately when a rumbling Harley would pull up next to me at a red light. It got the best of me, so about two weeks ago I started shopping for another bike. Last wednesday, I bought this beauty. I Ubered a ride to the dealership about twenty miles away, and rode it home in 38 degrees. Never felt the cold. It was quite exhilerating, and it's an incredible machine, (used 2014 Road King). Went riding yesterday. It was 41 degrees out. I had my new leather coat on, and new leather boots, and never felt the cold. It was awesome.

XKsB47B.jpg

class5lp

I had only been on the dirt up until 10 years ago and then my buddy bought a Harley Street Glide and he sucked me in to a road bike. Here is what I would tell you. You want a cruiser not a crotch rocket or sport bike. Just about every Harley dealer offers a rider course for about $350.00. This is where I would start. You will get some basic skills and also your cycle endorsement. Tip: Check with you local community center or community college for the riders course. Most likely the exact same instructors that teach the class at the Harley dealer are the same teachers at the community center. The only difference is it cost $50 at the community center versus the dealer.

Once you complete this course find a Harley dealer or two that rents bikes. Plenty of dealers rent them for about $125-175 per day. Rent a few various bikes and sit on them and ride them and then make up your mind. Ergonomics is a HUGE part about selecting a bike. Its sort of like buying a good guitar. It has to feel right for you right from the start. For me it is Harley Heritage Softail Classic. In the last 10 years I have owned 2 Heritage Softails, a Dyna Low Rider, A Street Glide, and a CVO Softail Convertible. Out of all of them I always feel at home on the Heritage Softail.

Good Luck!

AA00475Bassman

TqqBtrw.jpg
[/IMG

My 2001 996 R with Corsa factory body work & super sport floating rotors for the street ! A very Randy Bike !

Gadsden

“Aviation in itself is not inherently dangerous.
But to an even greater degree
than the sea,
it is terribly unforgiving of any
carelessness, incapacity or neglect.”

Last edited:

jrgtr42

Wonder what the OP's updates on these thoughts are... 6 months later has it still burned in his brain or taken off somewhere else.
I'm also considering getting a bike, though my wife is... ambivalent... about it, to say the least. I have some friends that ride, including one that writes for one of the online bike blog / magazine things.

If I do get into it, I'd look on Craigslist for a cheap 500cc or so, probably Honda or something, and ride it for a year or so. At that point I'd likely be able to turn it for what I have into it, more or less.
THen get something nicer. I know what I like for bikes, and what I don't.... and then a friend of ours has a 70's Norton Commando in the garage that hasn't budged in close to 30 years that I have my eyes on.
I know that would take some work and money to get back on the road, but damn....

I would definitely take the riding courses - the beginner and intermediate, at least.

I have read and talked to enough people that it's "all the gear, all the time"

Like others have said, it's not my own skills, it's those people around me I don't trust. I have enough time and miles on bicycles, touring, the charity century circuit and so on that I also know that certain riders and types of riders ruin it for the rest of us that follow the laws.

Triburst

I'm with the minority "not worth it" opinions on this. It's one thing to be on a track -- that's all on YOU. But on public roadways, you are depending upon the other drivers not to accidentally kill you, and they usually don't know how to behave around bikes.

Sadly, I've lost three very close friends over the years to motorcycle riding.

One got killed when going around a curve on an unstriped two lane, due to an oncoming pickup truck in his lane.

One lost control of his small Honda when he hit a new patch of loose gravel on the pavement in a curve in a rural area. He was paralyzed (had use of his arms) in a wheelchair for two years before he finally died of complications.

One got killed (a retiree, in front of his son, who was with a group of 4 on a road trip) as someone ran a red light near San Antonio.

Only one of these was operator error, and that's my hesitation about riding motorcycles.

Even though laws have been passed, I can't drive for 15 minutes without seeing someone distracted by their telephone, unconsciously changing speeds, weaving across the centerline or crowding a lane, and so on. The quality of driving skills and awareness of drivers has arguably decreased significantly over the past decade.

Do yourself a favor. If you really need breeze therapy, go buy yourself a good, used Corvette or a Porsche Boxter, etc. (for the same money) and take off the T-tops or let the top down and go.

Mairaguent

Bold decision. I also thought a long time ago about buying a real road train and a year ago I finally managed to complete my secret desires. But it is worth mentioning that 3 years before that I traveled on road electronic bicycles, as there were problems with coordination and the absence of the habit of a “noisy” motor. Fortunately, <style type="text/css"><!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}--></style>https://bikesist.com/best-balance-bikes-for-toddlers/ helped to read current articles about the most suitable bikes with the future prospect of a bike ride. You know, I advise such an adaptation to absolutely every newcomer, it pumps a lot.

AA00475Bassman

I live way out in the sticks very little traffic State & County have very little side roads I still use a lot of caution !! I have buried several friends due to motorcycle accidents I have been riding on the street since I was 18 I'm now 62 , you can get hurt but riding is a passion for me . Driving a convertible is not a a replacement for a motorcycle neither is ripping up the twisties in my Mini Cooper , Fun but not like a bike !!!!

Disclaimer : If your scared stay off , If your careless stay off , If you think traffic is do going to what you expect stay off a motorcycle .